Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New EFTPS client payment login requirement - use Batch Provider Software instead?

ArtyFacts123
Level 3

Greetings,

You may have discovered by now that the EFTPS login process has changed (as of October 19. 2023).  It now requires multi-factor authentication using ID.me or login.gov. (previously discussed here  If you use EFTPS to pay your clients' taxes you would have to have your client sign up for either of these (where applicable) and I know ID.me is not so simple to sign up with.  So the fallback option is using the EFTPS old-fashioned automatic phone  payment system - not very efficient.  I was about to give up all hope when I found out there is a software that can be downloaded from the EFTPS website called Batch Provider Software - where you can allegedly pay for many many clients at once?  Has anyone used this?  Recommend or no?  What is the process to sign up for it?  Why isn't this software publicized?   Please let us know if there is any hope!  Thank you 🙂 

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

That is not really correct.. I log into multiple client's EFTPS accounts to pay their payroll taxes and I can access them all from my single id.me account.

PATAX
Level 15

I agree with Jim. I signed up for id.me and it was easy to use, professional, and quick. I have no problem using my single id.me account and EFTPS to pay clients taxes. 

ArtyFacts123
Level 3

Wow!  That's great! I had been under the impression that the client had to set up an ID.me account and we'd have to use that login for EFTPS.  It's nice to know that we can just use one central ID.me login for the EFTPS for all of our clients.  Do you have any further info about that?  I am sure that to be able to use client's EFTPS through our own ID.me we'd need special permissions, etc.  

Thank you SO much for enlightening me - from the previous thread I had linked in my question, I can tell you a lot of others didn't know about this either!  The IRS needs to publicize this a *little* better!! 🙂

0 Cheers
ArtyFacts123
Level 3

Thank you - as I replied to Jim, I am SO grateful to know that there is a better option out there.  I will look into this further!  🙂 

0 Cheers
ArtyFacts123
Level 3

Also, how does this work if there are several people in an accounting office performing EFTPS tasks for clients?  Does each user use their own personal ID.me account to access the client EFTPS?  Or use the same ID.me login for the whole office? I've been searching elsewhere for the answer but no luck just yet 😞 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think you would really want to have each person setup their own ID.ME account.

Slava Ukraini!
ArtyFacts123
Level 3

Thank you for your reply.  Is a tax professional supposed to use their own personal ID.me account or set up another one for their business tasks?  I appreciate any info you can give. Thanks!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't know that you would be able to setup another account for the same person.  One account will do the job.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think the idea behind this is they want to know WHO is logging into EFTPS, so whomever is accessing that account should use their own ID.Me log in to get access to EFTPS then they can log into whichever client account that need to.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I received an email that starting in 2024, ohio workers comp site will require both an OH-ID and the MFA

0 Cheers
Taxtime3
Level 3

I have used the EFTPS batch provider software for years.  Works great.  No changes for me with respect to making payments.  You have to get an enrollment form from the taxpayer or have a 2848.  I use it for individual balance due and estimated payments.  I don't use it for anything else.  However, there are a number of different types of payments you can make.  I use OneSource for fiduciary returns where that has EFTPS payment functionality for balance due and estimated payments for federal built in.  I use web upload for state fiduciary payments.  That is for VA.

judys3
Level 4

I used the login.gov.  Super easy but a pain. 

AIACPA
Level 1

I am trying to setup the batch provider software in a network but it does not seem to work. 
Should we setup in each computer ? Any suggestions? Thank you!

0 Cheers
Taxtime3
Level 3

Mine is installed locally.  You can check to see if it can be installed in a networked environment.  I have never had in installed in a network environment.  

https://www.eftps.com/eftps/ext/hds.html

0 Cheers
Taxtime3
Level 3

2.2 RUNNING ON A NETWORK ENVIRONMENT 1. Install the software on the server first. 2. Install the software on the computers that network through the server. 3. If you need to use a proxy server to connect outside of a firewall, you must place the proxy server address in one of the batch provider software files on your hard drive. Contact your Network Administrator to obtain the specific proxy server address, port, and any realm, user name, or password information. (see Appendix D) Precaution The application must not be started more than once on a particular server. To control this, set the File Permissions on the BatchProvider.exe file to allow only one user (or a controlled set of users) to have execute permissions on the server installation. This will prevent unauthorized or accidental start-up of the application. A controlled set of users would need to coordinate start-up of the application so that it is only started once at any given time

Just found this.

0 Cheers