Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 


Level 2

Two unmarried taxpayers who live together have a child. One has income of $85K and one has income of $35K. Can the taxpayer with income of $35K claim the earned income tax credit?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Level 11

Yes.  That person would file single, claim the exemption for the child and all other tax credits related to the child.  The higher income earner would also file single.

Level 4

As long as they both agree since the taxpayer with the higher income holds the tiebreaker in the case where both tried to claim this dependent.  (all other factors being equal such as time lived with the dependent)

Level 4

If they are both the biological parents, yes.  Make sure you have copy of birth certificate (per circular 230).

Yes, the taxpayer with lower income should claim the child.  Make sure the other requirements are there met

Relationship, age, residency, support. 

Level 4

Support is not a factor with a QC only with a QR