Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amend a State return

Babak
Level 3

How can I just amend a state return? The federal return is fine, I needed to correct the amount paid with state extensions.

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
George4Tacks
Level 15

I think I would just wait for the state to apply the amount to the return. OR call the state practitioner hotline and have them check to see if the amount has been applied. 

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
Babak
Level 3

It's for last tax return (2020) and the change was only at the state level.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think George's answer still holds.

Slava Ukraini!
Babak
Level 3

Yes, amount applied and it brought down the taxes due around $500. Now, how can I just amend the state return?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Please go back and read George's post.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Babak
Level 3

I don't know what you mean, you keep referring me to George respond. Client paid some amount with extension. then filed his return and gave me a wrong payment with extension for State, now that we figured it out we want to file state amendment because it brings his amount due around $500. I hope I was clear this time and I hope I geta better answer this time.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

It doesn't get any better than what you got.  I give up.  Good luck with that amended return.

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

If you feel an urgent need to file an amended return for state only, go ahead. In Screen 1, remove all check marks except  for the state. In Screen 59, use the Ctrl + T to select the state to be amended and DO NOT CHECK Federal. Other than those two items, the article on amending should give you what you want. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/generating-form-1040x-amended-u-s-individual...

I still feel you should be able to call the state and get it adjusted. No amended return should be needed. The state is probably already doing the necessary steps to correct the issue. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"The state is probably already doing the necessary steps to correct the issue."

The state has probably already fixed it.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
In other words: "Patience Young Grasshopper"