Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8915F

Jamierac
Level 4

Thats a great suggestion.  All I was asking for yesterday. Thank you!

0 Cheers
TiredFarmer
Level 7

I am learning but I sure am glad for all the help I get.  Geez I hate to say it but almost think returns were easier before computers.

PATAX
Level 15

E-filing was also supposed to be the greatest thing ever invented. But it is tied in with the compatibility of the forms from the software companies. So how is that working out?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe, but I remember doing those things in pencil and when you caught an error on one of the first lines, you had to erase the whole return.  😫

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

My Uncle Joe used an old military style typewriter. And for an eraser he used something that looked like a wheel, a small wheel. He knew his stuff though.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

Still have one of those typewriters and one of those erasers and a couple of pieces of old carbon paper that went between forms for the copies...now I am really feeling old.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like you are going to be rich!  A typewriter and carbon paper ----------- those have got to be collectibles 😉

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Sounds like you are going to be rich!  A typewriter and carbon paper ----------- those have got to be collectibles 😉

But if they are sold at a gain, that is taxable at ordinary rates, up to 28%.  🤣

IRonMaN
Level 15

But doesn't that only apply if someone sends a 1099? 😶

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@TiredFarmer You are not old my friend... My great-grandfather and great-grandmother both lived to be almost a hundred years old, and they had thirteen children! That was a long time for their generation. Here is a key to young looks and longevity: Go to sleep not long after sunset, and wake up shortly before sunrise. The heart is like a mechanical device, and in many cases, it only has a certain number of beats, before it starts to give out. When you sleep, the heartbeat is reduced. I know what I say is true, at least in my case, as I look and feel half my age, and I am not bragging....

qbteachmt
Level 15

I forgot about this topic. Make sure to read what I copied from the IRS "Known Issues" into this topic regarding Form 8915-F:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/three-year-split-of-202...

Unless the IRS works on this later, it appears this will be a PDF form as attachment, for tax year 2021, and not provided as XML by the IRS. It is possible the 1099-R worksheet might accommodate entries. While I am a programmer that understands XML, I don't work for Intuit.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Those eraser wheels also had a brush to brush away the eraser leavings.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Thank you

IntuitGabi

Howdy! I haven't heard too much about the new form 8915-F but I'll do some research and report back to this thread. 

rcooley25
Level 11

Eager awaiting to hear from you. I have a lot of clients who need this form.

Jamierac
Level 4

Same here.  And if you notice all the prior 8915 forms are at least in the software. Hoping this happens with this form even if we cannot file it till a later date

qbteachmt
Level 15

"And if you notice all the prior 8915 forms are at least in the software."

But...

Form 8915-C, Qualified 2018 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (Taxpayer) Final on 03/17/2022, EF Not Allowed
Form 8915-C, Qualified 2018 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (Spouse) Final on 03/17/2022, EF Not Allowed
Form 8915-B, Qualified 2017 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions amp; Repayments (Spouse) Final on 03/17/2022, EF Not Allowed
Form 8915-B, Qualified 2017 Disaster Retirement Plan Distribution amp; Repayments (Taxpayer) Final on 03/17/2022, EF Not Allowed
Form 8915-D, Qualified 2019 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (Spouse) Final on 03/17/2022, EF Not Allowed
Form 8915-D, Qualified 2019 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (Taxpayer) Final on 03/17/2022, EF Not Allowed

And for Lacerte:

8915B
The form is not final and is watermarked
8915C
8915D
8915F
8915F (2020)

0 Cheers
Jamierac
Level 4

Forms 8915 A B C D are listed in the 2021 program watermarked and not available to  3/17.  I am assuming the 8915F will eventually be.    And, yes, maybe I am beating a dead horse and do not expect anyone on this venue other than possibly @IntuitGabi to have the answer here, but it would be nice to know when this form would show up at all, watermarked or not, in the software! I also use a 2 different softwares and its in there and has been in there for functionality.  We had the same issue last year with NYC 1127 forms, zero info on it. Wasn't even listed in the possible updates.  Anyone can deal with waiting as long as they know what the timeframes are, be it 3/17 or any other date.  Appreciate everyone's time. Thank you

qbteachmt
Level 15

In this topic:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-talk/discussion/form-8915-f/01/187131#M6903

I posted the IRS links, which you can monitor to see that the 8915-A is final and updated in 2020. Right now, -B, -C and -D show draft updates from 2021 not Released, and -F shows draft update from 2022 not Released. There is not much Intuit can do to push the IRS to release the forms. As for not using Drafts, I would imagine Intuit has a reason.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

@Jamierac  - Someone posted the other day that 3/17 was anticipated as the magical date.  But that date came by way of a phone call to support so who knows if the support person winged it or had the actual facts in front of them.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

ProSeries forms release page shows March 17.

Both ProSeries and the IRS list it as Not EFile. That means Intuit programmers make an alternative handling of the data.

0 Cheers
Jamierac
Level 4

The 8915F will in all likelihood will have to be a PDF attachment

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

God I hope not. I am a world war 2 baby and I do not have the slightest idea how you attach a pdf.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"how you attach a pdf."

The program should take care of this.

ProConnect, for example, Form 8915-E last year: "The information from Form 8915-E will be e-filed with the tax return as an IRS approved statement." Lacerte: "Lacerte can automatically generate and attach a PDF of this and other required forms when you e-file. To verify you have this setting activated:" From ProSeries: "The information from Form 8915-E will be e-filed with the tax return as an IRS approved statement."

From the similar angst topic last year:

Because Form 8915-E is new and impacted by recent legislation, it has not been enabled in XML for e-filing, and e-filed returns are to include an attached PDF of Form 8915-E. As an alternative to attaching a PDF of Form 8915-E, to increase e-filing and reduce paper filing, software providers may instead include with the e-filed return a general dependency statement that includes all the information requested on Form 8915-E if they have issues with attaching a PDF. Such a statement should look similar to the following....

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

Untill we get this matter settled once and for all you should keep beating that dead horse.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I don't understand this reply, in two parts:

"Untill we get this matter settled once and for all"

It is settled; Intuit has indicated they are working on it for March 17 and the IRS has indicated it isn't even released, yet.

"you should keep beating that dead horse."

? I'm not the one that keeps asking but we have answers for those who don't do their own research or even bother to use the Search function for their program or for this community forum. We know "Form 8915-F" is going have a lot of search results, because there are people starting topics with that in the title. The search function isn't great, but reiteration of that same phrase should make all of the topics easy to pull up in results.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

This is between me and the person who sent the message I am refering to so let the matter drop.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

This not "sent a message."

This is a public internet discussion forum. When you started posts, you are called the Original Poster. Unless you unsubscribe in your profile, as I explained to you in one of your other topics, you will get Notifications for the forum of updates when a new posted reply is put into your topic. Only the forum robot is sending you emails. The rest of this is on the internet.

And you mentioned not knowing how to do pdf as attachment. I described that you don't need to worry about it, not now, until the program is updated, and not then, if the program handles it the same as last year, and I provided that info in response to what you mentioned:

"God I hope not. I am a world war 2 baby and I do not have the slightest idea how you attach a pdf."

Well, the help articles explain it, and that is the resource I offered to you.

For some reason, you seem to think these are not true efforts to help you and others that are asking, to put you at ease and give you some info as to what is going on in Mid-Jan and what to expect, so that you can stop being so anxious on these issues. This is only mid-Jan on a public forum; you need to Unsubscribe from your own topics, or be prepared to see a bajillion replies and the same questions asked over and over, because that is what happens here.

We've already have a couple of questions on the issue of "what does abode mean" for purposes of the Schedule 8812. And TurboTax people are already posting here about their Advanced child care credit payments. This is how it goes every Spring.

0 Cheers
Jamierac
Level 4

I still have not seen anything succinct regarding an 8815F.  You say March 17th but specifically where for the 2021 taxes do you see an 8915F?  I see nothing on it.  I sincerely do appreciate what you have shown but I only see the 8915  A B C  and Ds.  The 8915F supersedes all of these forms.  Its called the forever 8915.  There will be no 8915G or H.  I realize we are all users here.  @IntuitGabi has said she will research this and I am waiting for what she comes up with.  Have you tried to transfer any client who took the 3 year spread on their 1099R's from last year?  It doesn't happen.  Its early in the tax season, granted, and I know you said Intuit has their reasons for not having it in yet even in a draft form.  Maybe @IntuitGabi can find that answer also. Why is it not in here?  Again not asking anyone for answers unless they have them, but rather pointing out a very important form/issue for this year. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

First, a bit of business:

@rcooley25 Do you see that @Jamierac has asked for more info? That isn't emailed to you. That is in the public forum. I hope this helps you understand we are on the internet. Use your browser and go to this link:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-form-8915f/01/189962...

That is this topic.

"I still have not seen anything succinct regarding an 8815F"

I don't understand what more you expect for the info that this is all we know. It is as succinct as there is to know. I've posted all that info here in this topic or others on the forum.

"You say March 17th but specifically where for the 2021 taxes do you see an 8915F?"

The links are either here, or a copy of the info is here, in this topic. You also can see it if you search for your product's Forms, such as google:

ProSeries Forms

or

Lacerte Forms

and then go through the little selections to the Forms part and use Find = 8915 and there they are. Look at the contents of my reply, 01-24-2022 12:54 PM, to see the table contents that I copied from those program forms listings, directly from Intuit. Use the topic link I provided where I put on this forum the draft IRS link and the production IRS link, and monitor it yourself for when it gets released.

"Have you tried to transfer any client who took the 3 year spread on their 1099R's from last year? It doesn't happen. Its early in the tax season, granted"

It's too early to transfer and expect everything to work, when it clearly has a lot of stuff Not Final and everyone has been commenting on this.

"The 8915F supersedes all of these forms. Its called the forever 8915."

No; it replaces the -E and will be used from now on, starting with tax year 2021 for disasters from 2020 and forward. -D and -C and -B and even -A will still apply for those year-specific disasters. And -E only applies to 2020 year disasters and is only used for 2020 tax year filings, including amending 2020.

"Again not asking anyone for answers unless they have them, but rather pointing out a very important form/issue for this year."

Yes, you are asking. You keep asking the same people and expecting a different answer. When a different answer is out there, it will be known. Asking again and again doesn't change the answer, if there is no new info. And @IntuitGabi has been looking into it, but what is available to release is not necessarily what we would want released. Just because you don't like an answer, doesn't make it the wrong answer, or doesn't make it wrong for now. Things change.

Then come back and let us know. Because we all are watching.

0 Cheers
Jamierac
Level 4

Drinks at my house? LOL

IRonMaN
Level 15

This string is like a Seinfeld episode ------------ a show about nothing.  Looks like about 169 posts here and nothing to show for it.  Personally, I prefer watching Seinfeld's show about nothing over watching this post about nothing. 📺

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I am afraid that my original post on this and you information about not having to worry about how to attached a pdf crossed in the mail. I certainly appreciate the info you sent. While I and others whish this form was available now I feel comfortable about not having to worry about attaching a pdf. Thank you.

0 Cheers
ArithegreyCPA
Level 1

I actually spoke to an IRS agent yesterday about this form.  After extensive research, she was unable to come up with any information on a release date for a final version for filing.  Her best advice was to keep checking the IRS website every few days.  Unlike some agents that I have spoken with, this woman seemed to know what she was doing.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@ArithegreyCPA 

Here is the link I previously put in this topic, that will show this form when it is released:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsPublications.html?value=8915-F&criteria=formNumber&submi...

Until then, you can see the amended dates for released forms, and the updated dates for draft forms, here. A whole bunch of the 8915s seem to be draft right now.

Regular:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsPublications.html;jsessionid=ggxaOeErPqJcM-yM7jWd1NP_.20...

2021 Draft:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/draftTaxForms.html;jsessionid=1VWOZecxrMpQEHAcdSJrfYub.20?val...

0 Cheers
Anglis
Level 3

I am not complaining but the Form 8915F has been released in TaxWise. So not sure what the problem is with Intuit.

I just helped a friend at an office that uses this software and it is available.

A

0 Cheers
Jamierac
Level 4

Same deal with Drake. Doesn’t matter if you complain here or not this is not the venue that gets anything done it seems. There is  a disconnect between the programmers and technical support with this company. I do think pro series is a very good tax program but in this regard it needs improvement.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"There is a disconnect between the programmers and technical support with this company."

Which does not go through the peer user community, which is what you have here. And the iRS still has the form in Draft, so until the IRS releases it, there is not much anyone else can do. The -F doesn't even show in the Released list; the -B, -C and -D all have Sept 2021 updates not yet released for the tax year. People just don't notice that the other Dashes are not finalized, either. The -F is not the only form not ready.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@qbteachmt wrote:

. And the iRS still has the form in Draft, so until the IRS releases it, there is not much anyone else can do.

We all understand the form is not final.  But the fact that there isn't ANYTHING in the software (not even draft) to do the carryover and the calculations shows that the Intuit developers are clueless about the needs of their customers.  There is no reason why that should not be in the software.

rcooley25
Level 11

I think you might be getting the draft for comfused with the final form which has not been released by the IRS yet. Why other tax programs are showing the rough draft in their program and Intuit has chosen not to until the form is released is anybody's guess. Either way you can't file the tax return untill the IRS releases it.

rcooley25
Level 11

f I had the answer I would not be asking about it.

By the way, your response is totaly out of line.

taxman92860
Level 1

So the new updated time for the release of 8915F is March 31, 2022.  Hoping someone can help me with this and its possible I am missing something, but I had a client in today that took advantage of the Coronavirus related distribution in 2020.  Preparing the return, I would have never asked about it until she brought it up.  Since nothing came over from the 2020 program to alert me, its possible I would have missed this.  I quite frankly don't remember every client that took advantage of this.  How is everyone handling this?  Is there a report in 2020 we can pull? anything other than asking each client if they did this.  Thanks!

IRonMaN
Level 15

Looking at the prior year return really isn't a bad starting point.

Slava Ukraini!