Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-SIGNITURE DOCuSign

HOPE2
Level 8

Last year I had a lot of problems with E-SIGNITURE DOCUSIGN. THIS YEAR AGAIN IT IS HAPPENING. CLIENT IS GETTING MAD ON ME. DOCUSIGN CAN NOT MATCH THEIR INFORMATION. CAN ONE HELP ME HOW TO FIND OUT WHAT PART OF QUESTION CAUSES THIS UNMATCH RESULT.

28 Comments 28
GodFather
Level 8

So far, so good for me.  After my first e-Signature request, a box appeared indicated I did not have to use the normal knowledge based identity verification, instead I would be able to assign a code.  I didn't use that option and just defaulted to the normal procedure so I'm not sure what you can do to rectify your issue.  Maybe attempt another e-signature and choose the code option?

HOPE2
Level 8

HOW TO ASSIGN A CODE ON E-SIGNITURE DASHBOARD?

0 Cheers
Jsyrus
Level 2

I used it just fine for 2021 returns, but this year so far, I've had major problems with people passing the authentication. I'm still set to use Knowledge Based. I've only had 2 out of 7 pass authentication, and most people are saying the questions don't have valid responses to their personal data. These same people were able to authenticate just fine last year, and haven't had major changes such as changing addresses. Something seems wrong, here. I've called Support but so far, they are clueless. I've reached out to the person who sold me the signatures to see of another avenue to get help for this. 

Jsyrus
Level 2

I've read that you have to use Knowledge-Based authentication for the form 8879. 

HOPE2
Level 8

Proseries support team does not have enough experience specially for this year.

0 Cheers
Amajane285
Level 3

We are having an extremely high amount of clients with the same issue this year.  We have clients that can't even get past the first page where they enter basic information because it just tells them their information is wrong or doesn't exist! Same people who passed fine last year.  We called Support as well and they said no one else is having this issue and that clients should clear Cache/Cookies.  

HOPE2
Level 8

0 Cheers
kelmelsd
Level 2

A lot of my clients are also having issues with DocuSign this year.  Very frustrating.

Amajane285
Level 3

Once a client fails the first screen where they enter the home address, DocuSign says their information is wrong regardless of what they put in the next time.  We can void and resend eSignature, but they won't pass this screen.  No matter what we've tried.  And thankfully we've had a lot of clients willing to try all the troubleshooting suggestions.

DocuSign Screen shot.PNG

donnafoleytx
Level 1

The same thing has been happening to me.  I'm going to follow this thread to see if you get an answer.

0 Cheers
Lexi Conn
Level 2

I may be mistaken, but I thought the Access Code auth method was available for selection in 2022 Lacerte E Signature request. Now it only comes up when there is a spouse. This would be a good alternative if not for the federal requirements. In my experience, if a client does not have plenty of records to create the questions, it does not work well.

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Have you tried paper and pen? It’s still legal 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Amajane285
Level 3

Thank you captain Obvious, we use Pen and paper when we can. However, our clients are all over the world, in other states and some are in the younger generation that doesn't understand the concept of owning their own printer.  We purchased eSignatures to support our client base.  We PAY for a feature that is working like crap right now.  So no, we shouldn't have to just revert to using pen and paper and forgo the money we spent on this feature.

KristineM
Level 3

I am having issues too.  

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Amajane285 It is a fact of life clients overseas tend to fail DocuSign verification.  Access code is what you would default to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Amajane285
Level 3

Full-time foreign residents yes they typically can't pass, but we have temporary, part-timers and vacationers pass all the time.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Amajane285 That's how it works.  The longer an individual has been away and less current their history in the US is, the harder it is for them to pass the US-based KBA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Amajane285
Level 3

Again, obviously.  But this doesn't help the issue at hand or explain why the the E-signature feature is failing.  Client's can't even get to the KBA questions because eSignature won't take them there.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

This is not a problem with Intuit or DocuSign.  It is inherent in the design of a US-centric system.  And at the early stage of the rollout, service providers took a very conservative approach and shied away from offering alternative authentication methods.

As you may be aware, Intuit and DocuSign have added a new authentication method based on Access Code, which some other providers have already been offering for some time.

If push comes to shove, you client can always resort to signing the form and returning it as an image file.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/manage-integrations/authentication-methods-...

Still an AllStar
Amajane285
Level 3

Clients can't get to the Authentication options because eSignature is failing at the Intuit hosted page where they enter their basic information.  See screen shot above.  This issue has nothing to do with Authentication methods.  

itonewbie
Level 15

Authentication of taxpayer identity by soft credit check is not the only acceptable method for verification.  You can refer to Pub 1345 for a more in-depth discussion.

You may be able to get around the default KBA authentication method by submitting your request as an additional document instead.  Since we don't use DocuSign for the very reasons you cited (as we specialize only in expat and foreign national returns), I am not sure whether or how the rest of the process would meet the NIST requirements.

We have been using Verifyle for a number of years.  A number of national and regional CPA as well as EA organizations partner with them to offer its services to their members.  It is primarily a client portal but it includes Pub 1345 and NIST compliant e-signature function.  Here's the whitepaper they published a few years ago for F.8879 e-signature, based on advice they had received from their legal counsel.

As mentioned previously, at the end of the day, you can always fall back on getting a copy of the wet signature by fax or email, which is perfectly acceptable so long as you have verified your client's identity as required.

It is just how things are and plenty have complained about it.  Unless you consider viable alternatives, nothing is going to change, at least in the intermediate term.

Still an AllStar
melodyryan
Level 1

So many of my clients are failing the docusign feature when there were no issues last year and they are all local clients. They either can't get in or the questions are not related to them at all.

It is a waste of time to have to email and resend multiple times.

HOPE2
Level 8

by new technology on the phone, clients can sign and date. No fees no charge and easy to sign the pdf. 

0 Cheers
GodFather
Level 8

Are you referring to a new pdf technology that allows them to view and sign on their phones?

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

I had two time Authentication failed and I wanted voided them but could not and called Proseries to return my chance to use more for them, Proseries said we can not?!!!!Two hours on the phone connect me wrong department every body said I am not a right person for. I think for this very bad service I do not need to buy E-signature any more and Docusign is not updated as well, while phones technology help us to get a sign from taxpayer. The most weakness Proseries does have is regarding support team on the phone.

jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

While Intuit offers access codes as an option for verifying clients who signed prior year returns, that method is not IRS-compliant.  And, at the end of the day, remaining in compliance with IRS regulations on e-signatures for Form 8879 is why all of us are investing in this process in the first place.

revsfreeman
Level 1

Same thing has happened to my clients.

0 Cheers
Brainstrom
Level 4

That is definitely the Problem, You pay for a service that doesn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Cheers