Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for IRS to stagger tax season due dates

PATAX
Level 15

The time has come for IRS to start staggering the 1040 due dates. 1/3 due on April 15th, then 1/3 due on June 15th, and then 1/3 due on August 15. States can conform to this for state and local individual income tax returns . This is insanity what we have to go through every year. 

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll nominate you, but who is going to win the Nobel Peace Prize for calming Lisa down when she can't coast for the last 8 months of the year?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

35 Comments 35
IRonMaN
Level 15

It wouldn't be quite so bad if Intuit had all of the forms ready to roll in January ----------------- including PA local returns 😉

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I agree totally! 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Oh hell no, I'm not working all year round!

I slam it out for 4 months, then coast the rest of the year.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

HORRIBLE IDEA.

Can you picture chasing clients around all summer to get another copy of documents they were given more time to lose.?

PATAX
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- you will get used to it. Plus I know you have a strong work ethic.

PATAX
Level 15

@jeffmcpa2010 you won't have to do that if you would fire those clients. Then you can spend more time on the good clients and end up making more money with less headaches. Real simple.

IRonMaN
Level 15

PA - you are just a man ahead of his time.  Staggering dates is nice in theory but some folks seem to have enough problems remembering that April 15th is kind of an important date for getting things done.  Imagine the chaos with various due dates. 

If the insanity is starting to get to you, just let me know.  I know a guy in IL that can hook you up with some powerful medicine to help you with your problems.  I believe they call it Fireball, but I can confirm that for you if you like.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm thinking of all of the people that will yell about discrimination because somebody else gets to procrastinate longer than they can.  🤣

Camp1040
Level 10

I keep reading April, April, April, is the due date July 15th this year?

PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN 🤣lmao. I don't want to mess with Brother Cooley's batch.

IRonMaN
Level 15

@Camp1040  - close, but no cigar.  It's July 16th this year 😜

Slava Ukraini!

My client asked me recently if I can get him an extension to file his 2019 return.

I got him an extension in July, 2020 until October, 2020.  I asked him for his stuff in the lead up to October 2020, again in April 2021 when I got him the 2020 extension, again in the leadup up to October 2021 for 2019 and 2020, in April 2022 when I got the 2021 extension, again when IRS announced amnesty for 2019, again in the lead up to October 2022 for 2019, 2020, and 2021, and again in November 2022 right before efiling closed for 2019.

How, exactly, do you fire these people?  If anyone would like a new client, I would be glad to pass on your phone number as a referral.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im in CA, certain counties get until May 15th to file and pay, we had some major flooding in January so some counties are considered a disaster zone.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

"How, exactly, do you fire these people?"

You move and change your name so that they can't find you.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN or when they come in you tell them don't bother taking your hat and coat off. And then you point to the door.

PATAX
Level 15

Here is another reason that this will eventually become reality. There will be a massive amount of money saved in wages. Tax preparation firms, including CPA firms, will save a huge amount in overtime compensation, and they will be better able to utilize the employees they have. And as we know the largest CPA firms have much more clout than we do. The IRS and the taxing agencies will also save money in wages and will be able to also better utilize the employees they have now. Also, I forgot to mention, there should be a minimum date where you are not allowed to file before. For example the June 15th people will not be allowed to file until March 1st. The August 15th group will not be allowed to file until May 1st. This will save a massive amount of money in wages for the entities that have to issue the various 1099 forms, Etc. The more I think about this, the more I see this is a superb idea. Therefore I have to ask a favor of @IRonMaN: Will you nominate me for a Nobel Peace Prize in Economics for This brilliant idea?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll nominate you, but who is going to win the Nobel Peace Prize for calming Lisa down when she can't coast for the last 8 months of the year?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks Iron Man. Lisa will be okay. I'll share half of the prize money with her and she can use that to take a well-deserved vacation to somewhere far off.

rcooley25
Level 11

Be carefull. Intuit does not want us to use the word Hell.

rcooley25
Level 11

I agree with IRON Man. It would be a great idea if intuit would not take that much longer to get the forms ready.

rcooley25
Level 11

The only way I will go insane is if they stopp brewing fireball.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

This thread generates so many thoughts!🤔

taxes96786
Level 9

To what end? If you are thinking they will be better able to get returns completed more quickly, I doubt that will happen. The IRS works at their own pace, no matter.

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

@taxes96786 Master Po said unto Grasshopper: Even the tortoise can be motivated to snatch the pebble from my hand and run.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think pub 17 would have change before this ever became reality 😜

Slava Ukraini!
Dusty2
Level 7

You already have exactly this.  It is called extensions - then do them when you want.

taxes96786
Level 9

Ironman I have made you president of my fan club.  I so appreciate all your posts aimed directly at me.

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Worst idea EVER!  You must not play golf, go fishing, vacation or have sex.  Why would anyone want to work year round.

PATAX
Level 15

@taxiowa Are you looking in the mirror? Or is the mirror too small to fit your whole body?😉

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I prefer the 4/15 deadline… usually forces clients to supply the information… i can put them on extension and do the work at my leisure 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
rcooley25
Level 11

Last tax season I had this one troublesome client that I had prepared a tax return for over 20years.Finally last year I had enough and simply told him to go someplace else, End of problem.

PATAX
Level 15

👍Now you are talking Brother Cooley. I fired one a couple of weeks ago and it felt great! Found out two other ones are not coming back. Good! I have plenty of work and every client is expendable.

taxes96786
Level 9

You tell them that you cannot work with those who do not meet deadlines.

rcooley25
Level 11

I wonder who that guy in Illinois is.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Holy crap!  You mean they let people from IL in here?  I know they let DIYers in here, but I didn't think they would stoop so low as to let people from IL in.  Before you know it they are going to let people from MN and PA in and then this place is just going to go to a nice warm picnic. 😜

Slava Ukraini!