Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S Corp distributions in excess of basis.

mh85251
Level 2

I understand that the shareholder has a L/T cap gain, but I'm confused about how to report this on the books and return.  What is the entry on the S Corp books?  How do I reclass a shareholder distribution to an income account? 

Because if I don't adjust the books, the shareholder is still taking a hit to his capital account for the excess dividends he is paying cap gains on.  Is this correct?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Nothing goes on the corporate books, except the actual amount of the distribution. The distribution reduces Retained Earnings.

On the shareholder's 1040 they report the distributions in excess of basis on Schedule D/8949 as a sale with -0- cost. 

Ex-AllStar
mh85251
Level 2

My main concern was the fact that doing it as you suggested, results in the shareholder pays tax on the excess distribution, and has a reduction to his basis on the 1120S.

Is the answer that he gets to add the excess distributions (which he paid tax on), to his outside basis?  If so, that would result in a reduction to the inside basis, and an addition to his outside basis.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes the shareholder pays tax on distributions in excess of basis.

Shareholder's basis is nowhere on the 1120S.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"If so, that would result in a reduction to the inside basis,"

It reduces the Equity. An asset was removed (money), so the equity is reduced.

"and an addition to his outside basis."

He did not invest into the entity. He took from the entity, more than was his, at that point in time. Perhaps you want to establish this as a shareholder loan (owed from the person) and the next year, if there is good income, the loan can be repaid by not taking that as distribution.

This also assumes there is not other shareholders.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers