Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else unable to log in because of insufficient download speed

Bruce Homan
Level 2

After years of using ProSeries and preparing over 200 tax returns for 2023, I now try to log in to ProSeries (computer unchanged from 8 months ago) and I get a message that says my download speed is insufficient to log in.  I can't access the tax returns I prepared for 2023, and I expect that I will need to switch to another tax prep software to be able to prepare 2024 tax returns.  I bought a new computer last year to have more performance, and my remote area does not provide the download speed that ProSeries NOW says is necessary.  What do I do?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Have you talked with any IT techs to determine if there are other broadband options available? 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
George4Tacks
Level 15

Download speed is a function of your modem, not your computer. Use https://www.speedtest.net/ or similar site to see what your speeds are. My upload is 945 and download 180.

I see 'Broadband internet access is defined as a minimum of 25 Mbps download and 3 Mpbs upload speeds. This is the lowest recommendation for use with Intuit Hosting."  is the required speed.

Reset your modem and try again. (unplug, wait 30 seconds and plug in again is one method)

Alternatively look for other internet options. Some cell service companies are offering internet e.g. https://www.google.com/search?q=internet+service+for+remote+areas

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you disconnect wi-fi does it give you the option to Log in Offline?  Might be able to at least get access to the program.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

I switched to Verizon 5G Internet earlier this year, and today it's providing 298.70 download and 20.74 upload.  Not as fast as the cable connection I had, but fast enough.  That's at home; at my office I have AT&T 5G Internet, which is somewhat slower but not noticeably.  My backup, which I have not had to use, is to link my Verizon cell phone to the computer, with Bluetooth.  What's your cell phone connection speed?

You have a new computer, but how old is your modem?    I recall reading a while back, if your modem is more than three or four years old, it's time to get a new one. 

If all else fails, I just read that 250,000 Brazilians are using Starlink for Internet access.  Call Elon Musk, problem solved.  As long as you have $120 a month.  

Bruce Homan
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion!  I really need to find an internet solution for this remote area.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Have you tried using your mobile phone. A friend in remote Alabama is using 2 phones from AT&T to get enough data, but it works.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/how-to-use-your-iphone-and-android-phone-as-a-mobile-hotspot/

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
ehunter
Level 3

Depending on your exact location, Starlink may be available.

Alternatively, a hosted solution might work.  In a hosted environment you log onto a remote desktop that connects to a remote server.  Connectivity between the remote desktop and server should, (if properly configured) be fast.  If you have a qualified IT person who is familiar with AWS (Amazon Wed Services), they can set up and environment similar to the Intuit host service (Actually Intuit outsources to RightNetworks).

The biggest potential issue I see with remote services in a remote area is physical printing as large print jobs can use significant bandwidth and may time out.

No matter what you do, please store encrypted backups in more than one place.  Local is great for convenience, maybe your home to protect against regional problems (floods/fires), and definitely in the cloud so you can have a plan for disaster recovery.

0 Cheers