Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Hanging Up

msmith7305
Level 7

I have had numerous phone calls with the IRS on client tax matters and reached a high level of frustration. I'm sure I am not alone. Besides having to wait for extremely long times (routinely an hour) before even getting to talk to an agent, the most frustrating thing is being put on short (5 minute) holds during the call over and over and then, after that, the agent disconnects the call. You would think that, since they have my phone number, they would call you back. But, they never do. And of course, the agent will not give you their direct phone number.

I have reached the point that I want to complain to someone at the IRS or find some solution to this.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to fix this problem?

Thanks

13 Comments 13
taoseno
Level 3

I agree this is a huge problem! I was hung up on twice in one day a couple weeks ago.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Does anyone have any suggestions as to fix this problem?"

There isn't any way for us to fix the problem.  All we can do is compare notes to see who has the saddest tale to tell about trying to communicate with the IRS.

Slava Ukraini!
msmith7305
Level 7

A response I received from another tax pro on a different forum stated that when he asked if the IRS agent would call him back if disconnected he was told they are not allowed to.

What a horrible way to do business. This forces the tax pro to call again, go through the wait to get an agent, go through the entire problem again and hope he doesn't get hung up on again.

I'm wondering, has anyone gone through the Taxpayer Advocate Office via phone call or Form 911? If so, what was your experience like?

judys3
Level 4

I tried to call as well and same result.  I was hung up on.

My only solution has been to write letters responding to the notices.  The turn around time isn't great but I don't know what else to do.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I tend to not call unless it is life or death and normally go the letter writing campaign too.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Taxpayer Advocate is only for when regular channels haven't worked. Getting hung up on doesn't count.

The TAS used to be great many years ago. They are not much help the last few years, even when you meet the criteria.

All parts of the IRS have poor service these days, in my experience.

Ex-AllStar
taoseno
Level 3

They could hire 8000 more people and it wont help until they get the phone system straightened out...........What a waste of time for us and them!

msmith7305
Level 7

Ah, if this was just about one hang up call I could see your point. However, this is regarding a problem that began the first of January when the IRS made a keypunch error on a client's Form 941. My first call resulted in the IRS issuing a letter of apology for their error within 2 weeks.

"We corrected your account based on the information you provided. You received an incorrect balance due notice. We made a mistake when processing your tax return, but we corrected it. We apologize for our error."

Sounds great, right? Since that time my client has received 4 notices of tax still being due (and notice of intent to levy), I have had 5 phone conferences with 4 different divisions of the IRS via transfers from the first agent answering to different agents and going through the whole issue with each one of them (resulting in 3 hang ups) and now the IRS has taken funds from their 1120 deposit to pay part of the tax. So, yes, I believe this might qualify for the Advocates office under the conditions stated on Form 911.

I was simply asking if anyone had ever used the Advocate office and what the experience was like.

Get 2 phone calls going. When there is a disconnect at least you are in queue on the other phone.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive just been submitting things in writing, I dont have time to jack around on the phone playing games like that.   Even when you do get through, many times the rep is new and doesnt know how to help you anyhow, so its a huge waste of time

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

Thos does sound like it qualifies for Taxpayer Advocate.

Give it a try. The situation couldn't get worse, could it?

How could IRS intercept an 1120 payment for a 1041 balance due?

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

I try not to call like Iron Man said, and when I do I keep my fingers crossed and hope I get through to someone who is knowledgeable. Other than that your best bet would be to correspond with them via certified mail. If that does not work then contact your federal representative. Same thing has occurred at the state level. In my opinion it has become increasingly worse over the last fifteen years or so. Are they hiring the most qualified people?

msmith7305
Level 7

sjrcpa -

The money was taken from an 1120 deposit to partially pay what they say is due on a 941