Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation - Undivided interest property

dkh
Level 15

father sold son 50% undivided interest in property:   house, farm buildings, 80 acres

I'm doing both father and son's tax returns.   I have questions concerning both returns.

1) for father - do I report sale using 50% of the farm buildings/land cost or do I leave his cost as is and just report a capital gain sale of "50% undivided interest" without a cost basis

2) for son -   do I enter the cost as the 100% value determined in the purchase agreement then                depreciate as 50%   or  list the 50% of farm buildings value as the cost

Am I overthinking this......          Thanks for any help you have to offer        I don't think this is in Pub17

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Isn't that just Tenancy-in-Common?

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2016/nov/fractional-interests-in-property.html

So they each own 50% of the property?  The devil's in the details but you're probably splitting all of Dad's assets into two (50% basis/accum depr) and then selling the new "half".  The old half would continue to depreciate.

Son then places his new "half" of property in service and starts fresh depreciation from the purchase price.

The bigger mess is probably dealing with income/expenses going forward.  I'd punt, but then I don't like volunteering to deal with other people's headaches.

View solution in original post

23 Comments 23
IRonMaN
Level 15

I checked and it isn't in Pub 17.  I even checked Pub 16 and 18 just to be safe.  I would like to help but you are talking a foreign language to me so I'm going to let someone that is multilingual help you.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Thanks Ironman.   I've had a lot of farm sales - first undivided interest sale I've encountered.

rbynaker
Level 13

Isn't that just Tenancy-in-Common?

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2016/nov/fractional-interests-in-property.html

So they each own 50% of the property?  The devil's in the details but you're probably splitting all of Dad's assets into two (50% basis/accum depr) and then selling the new "half".  The old half would continue to depreciate.

Son then places his new "half" of property in service and starts fresh depreciation from the purchase price.

The bigger mess is probably dealing with income/expenses going forward.  I'd punt, but then I don't like volunteering to deal with other people's headaches.

PATAX
Level 15

I couldnt find much in four different tax reference books. but under lawprofessors.typepad.com : under agricultural law and taxation blog: there are articles that may have some information. may want to use your smart phone to access this just in case viruses,etc. 

dkh
Level 15

I don't believe the tenancy-in-common and the undivided interest are the same.  But I don't really know that.

The father and son are not cost-sharing the farming.   

I don't expect anyone to volunteer to deal with my headaches.   Just looking for someone with experience with this type of transaction.   I'm not finding anything helpful on the WWW

Thanks for your input. @rbynaker 

rbynaker
Level 13

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were making this my headache and certainly didn't mean to offend.  You're probably my favorite person here whose contact info I don't already have.  (I like to travel and have met at least a half-dozen folks from here in my travels.)

To clarify, this is the client's headache (of their own making), not yours!  It also likely creates a conflict of interest for you if you are considering representing both parties to a financial transaction.  The son's best interests and the father's could very well be at odds, both in this one transaction and in the activities of the joint property going forward.  No problem telling them that you're not comfortable representing them in this situation.

Rick

dkh
Level 15

@rbynaker  I'm sorry for taking offense. I misinterpreted your comment.   This situation has me crazy.   

I think the father was looking after his financial interest and the attorney came up with this.  With the way land prices keep going up in this area, I think the father wants to be able to share in the profits if the son decides he doesn't want the farmers life in the future and they decide to sell.  If he'd just sold out right, he would miss out.   

rbynaker
Level 13

I can't think of a worse way to accomplish . . . well, whatever they were trying to accomplish.  There's no asset protection, in fact, now if something bad happens on the property, the injured party can go probably after the assets of BOTH father and son.  It certainly doesn't save on taxes.  If dad is in poor health he's just created a capital gain for himself (when he could have gotten a step-up in basis).  Maybe if the numbers are small and Dad had NOLs to absorb?  But even then, I don't see the upside here.  <shrug>

BobKamman
Level 15

Sounds like a case of hillbilly probate.  They share ownership (sounds like tenants in common to me) but not income and expenses?  Was there actually money paid by the son to the father for his half?  Maybe, after father gave the son a gift of the same amount?  And how did they arrive at the purchase price?  FMV?  Any gift tax return filed?  Is there a mortgage on the property?  

For farm questions, see Pub 225, which goes into 17 about 13 times.  But they don't have a chapter on Goofy Family Deals.  

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@taxiowa  is this something you’re familiar with?

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
dkh
Level 15

There is a land contract.  Don't know how they arrived at purchase price. The son's purchase price is reasonable based on current property sales in the area. So no, no gift tax return filed.   Land contract only, no mortgage.   They do not share income/expenses.  In fact, son is putting up a poultry barn - father will not be sharing income/expenses.  Father buys/sells cattle - son does not share in the income/expenses. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

Will father pay rent to the son for using son's undivided interest in the father's farming operation?

Ex-AllStar
rbynaker
Level 13

@sjrcpa wrote:

Will father pay rent to the son for using son's undivided interest in the father's farming operation?

Does he need to?  I think that's the insanity of an undivided interest.  Dad can use 100% of the property.  Son can use 100% of the property.  And then the chickens get trampled by the cattle and nobody can sell a 50% interest in the land because it's not marketable.

sjrcpa
Level 15

No I don't think rent needs to be paid. I was just curious.

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

No rent being paid father to son nor son to father.  

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

It probably depends on how you reported income/expenses/depreciation on each parties prior returns.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Will father pay rent to the son for using son's undivided interest in the father's farming operation?"

I was thinking about that house. Rent for the house, no depreciation for the house, we all get to live in that house?

And what do you suppose happens when one of the individuals has some sort of judgement against them?

Ugh.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

"I'm doing both father and son's tax returns."

Have you thought about doing a partnership return, also?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@qbteachmt  I was thinking about that house. Rent for the house, no depreciation for the house, we all get to live in that house?

Funny thing, yes they do all live in the house. Been living this way for 5years.  They are Amish - main house with doddy attached.

taxes96786
Level 9

Probably because you didn't research the correct Pub. for this issue

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

And which Pub would be the correct one?🙄

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

@taxes96786   are you serious?   or are you trying to be funny?   

What issue are you referring to...... the renting of the home or the depreciation of the undivided interest property.

Enlighten me with which Pub you think should be read.

IRonMaN
Level 15

She can't enlighten you.  Her sole purpose here is to antagonize people with useless information.  She has done that for years and I'm guessing she will continue to do that until the day she dies.  The best advice I can give is to totally ignore her.  But she is like a case of poison ivy.  No matter how hard you try to not scratch, sometimes you have to give in to the urge.

Slava Ukraini!