Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2022 Tax Return for Taxpayer who died in 2023

Tani
Level 3

I have a client who passed away in Jan. 2023.  How do I file her 2022 return?  Do I note her date of death?  This will not be her final return because we will have to file that next year.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you input her DOD.  Its a regular 1040.  If she has a refund, a 1310 will be needed as well.   

Whos the personal rep that's filing for her?  Their info will go on the 1310.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you input her DOD.  Its a regular 1040.  If she has a refund, a 1310 will be needed as well.   

Whos the personal rep that's filing for her?  Their info will go on the 1310.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Tani
Level 3

So I just treat the return as the final return even though it is not correct?  I know I need a 1310 as the personal rep is her son with POA, would you suggest doing the whole return by mail or efile the return and send the 1310 by mail.  I paper filed my mom's 2020 complete return and have yet to get the refund.

Thanks

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Entering the DOD as xx/xx/2023 just notifies the IRS of it.  

It doesn't indicate 'final'.... as a matter of fact, there's no place on the F 1040 to mark 'final' like there is on entity returns. 

The need to file a return is determined year by year, depending on income levels.  As my collections are so far down this year, and since I may just up & quit.... I might not even have to file a return for 2023 😉

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

I've always found it confusing that the 1310 instructions say that if you are the court appointed representative you do NOT need to file Form 1310.  But people who do this sort of work say that you do.  I'm wondering if there is some part of the process that I'm missing.

Example. Assume Mr. Green died on January 4 before filing
his tax return. On April 3 of the same year, you were appointed
by the court as the personal representative for Mr. Green’s
estate and you file Form 1040 for Mr. Green. You do not need to
file Form 1310 to claim the refund on Mr. Green’s tax return.
However, you must attach to his return a copy of the court
certificate showing your appointment.

So the answer may depend heavily on the situation.  When my mom passed away I filed Form 56 and attached the court certificate to that (in VA it's called a "Letter of Qualification").  Then I was able to efile her 1040 the following year without attaching anything and had the refund direct deposited into the estate bank account.  Easy peasy.  I think I was using ProSeries at the time and I had to answer some questions on the 1310 screen but there was a checkbox something like "certificate already submitted" and checking that made all of the errors go away.  This year I hear that PS removed the errors forcing you to fill the form out, don't know if that's good or bad (or necessary or unnecessary).

Anyway, just my ramblings.  I usually send my deceased taxpayer returns to the attorneys who set up the revocable trusts that they probably didn't need.

Be aware of mixed results with efile.  I've heard that sometimes the SSA and/or IRS locks the SSN so you have to paper file.  But not always.  Best I can tell there isn't a rhyme or reason to it.

Rick

abctax55
Level 15

Rick, me too neither.  The F 1310 works sometimes, sometimes not.  Same with DOD & SSA - and I hate it when it forces me into a paper file ;-(

( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

I usually end up having to paper file.

And even when I include the 1310, IRS asks for it again.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

@Intuitjhaze 

*We* would like to know why you are stepping in and marking threads solved?  In the past that was generally only done by the OP.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

In the past it was also done by some moderators which is a bunch of hooey.  Let the person asking the question mark the thing as solved —— they are the only ones that know when all of their problems are solved.  And if they don’t, I assume nobody at Intuit is going to lose their job over it.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

It has to be some sorta "social media' crap....  Wow, look at how many 'solved' problems our *support* forum has !   Isn't Intuit wonderful, we are so helpful - please buy our product with it's superior support team.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

In my previous complaints about the issue, I would ask if they didn’t hit the quota for solved posts for the week😜

Slava Ukraini!
Intuitjhaze
Intuit Alumni

no quotas here folks, just trying to help out community members with similar issues find the resolution easier in the future and at the same time highlight those that are volunteering their time providing great responses - whether that's by giving a kudos or an accepted solution.

@abctax55 if you feel we've erroneously accepted Just-Lisa's response as a solution, please let us know so we can retract. 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@Intuitjhaze 

I would ask the OP... as it's his/her thread not mine 😉

( Generic Comment )"