Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign spouse with no SS#

LizPS
Level 4

For my third year I am doing a tax return with Foreign Earned Income exclusion for wages but Business Income from S Corp.  In 2021 this US citizen married a Thai national.  I was going to change his status from Single to MFS but I can't get beyond need to SS# for spouse.  How do I complete the Information Form, and eFile for this taxpayer that lives & works in Thailand?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
LizPS
Level 4

I didn't get answer last year but was able to file MFS and "note" that spouse does not have ss# and I was able to eFile.  This year the program says I will not be able to eFile, but I need to.

Client is a US citizen living, and working, in Thailand. Spouse is a Thai national so has no ss#. I must be able to eFile from ProSeries Basic but it's requiring ss# of spouse when I check MFS. Is there a go around or should I file client at Single and ignore spouse?

Liz

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the taxpayer is married, you are not allowed to file a Single.

Maybe you can enter "NRA" for the spouse's name to make it work???  The 1040 Instructions say that you can e-file, but the last I heard ProSeries was not able to do it (but maybe you could disable error-checking to see if that works).

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040gi#en_US_2022_publink10002597

mzp
Level 1

Hi 

Iam not sure in what situation is your client but if they register they marriage here in USA ( he can apply and get her SSN) and if not you can file for TIN number for her if they are not in any immigration status. 

It would benefit to your client the most . Just talk to him to see what are they plans .