Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY S Corporation Extension won't efile

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Professional User.   Federal extension went through fine. NY gets a weird rejection message saying that:

"New York State s corporation S corporation information Worksheet todays date must be entered"

Yet there is no place to do so and error check shows no errors.  Support couldn't figure it out.  Its an extension without any money due.

0 Cheers
19 Comments 19
dascpa
Level 11

Many states require an e-file signature date input into the return e-file authorization form.  Some states require this date to be input before the extension can be e-filed.  (1) Make sure on the Federal Information Worksheet NY S Corp Extension is check off. (2) Go into the NY TR 579-1-CT and check the certificatin boc and then add the date down the bottom, even if no payment is due.  (3) Go into CT 5.4 Request for Six-Month Ext and make sure Freeze is checked, payment is listed, if any and the paid preparer date is completed.

ljr
Level 8

I just had to deal with all the same errors to put 2 corps on extension. Fed is easy. Nys/Nyc not so much. 

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Nope, signature authorization pages won't even populate.  I have been using Pro for over 12 years, this is the first time this has been an issue. Returns file but not extensions.

haffcpa
Level 2

We are encountering the same issue. Was on the phone with ProSeries for over an hour and got no where. The call got disconnected and the issue was not resolved. Not sure what to do because New York will charge a penalty for every paper extension filed. Can't use the extension in ProSeries to paper file because there is a huge watermark across it saying do not file. I'm losing so much time looking into this and these need to be filed by Friday. 

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Now getting similar issues with Ct.

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

when ProSeries fails... use NY online services

Corporation tax extension request forms (current year) (ny.gov)

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
haffcpa
Level 2

The problem that we are having is for the CT-5.4. There is no way to file those online with the NY online services unless you want to create an account for every S Corp you are trying to do an extension for. Based on a phone conversation with New York Department of Taxation if you want to mail in an CT-5.4 extension with NY you need to request permission and they will mail you a blank form to fill out and send back in. With the extensions due on Friday that is no longer an option.

0 Cheers
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

@haffcpa @MICHAELMARS 

Has this issue been resolved?  We are seeing other customers successfully filing NY S corporation extensions.  Can you tell me where in the software specifically you are receiving an error?  Trying to diagnose your issue to help you move forward.  

Thanks.

@IntuitMark304 

0 Cheers
haffcpa
Level 2

No. The error is when attempted to electronically file the CT-5.4. The error that appears is "S Corporation Information Worksheet: Filing Required must be entered for electronic filing." I was on the phone with someone from ProSeries for over an hour on Tuesday, the issue was not resolved and then the call disconnected and I never got a call back. 

0 Cheers
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee
0 Cheers
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

I am seeing it when no money is due.  since i am not pulling money, no signatures are required and the signature forms don't populate.

0 Cheers
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

@MICHAELMARS 

The signature form you are trying to activate, is it the TR-579.1-CT (Authorization for Electronic Funds Withdrawal for Corporate Tax Extensions)?  My understanding of that form is that it is only for extensions that are authorizing electronic withdrawals.  I believe if there is no payment due then this form should not be activated or part of the filing. 

0 Cheers
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

TRUE but one of the errors are saying that the authorization has to be signed. yet the program won't populate it.

0 Cheers
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

On your federal info worksheet - check to make sure you have only checked to efile the extension at this time.  Sometimes if return is also checked in can cause some pain.  Super hard to diagnose via this board.  Just trying what I 

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

i will try that and let you know

0 Cheers
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Proseries did let it go through so I will now see if the state accepts it.  Unfortunately, NY takes a day or 2 to approve so may not know till its too late.

This might be a valid work around.

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Had to have my client set up an online NY account.  They REQUIRE e-file but will mail you a Pin in 5 days.  Hmm, five days is past the deadline.  Why is government making it so hard to do simple things?

0 Cheers
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Doing as suggested, deselecting the return and only selecting the extension allowed it to go through and it got accepted.

IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

@MICHAELMARS 

I am thrilled we could help you move forward.  Hope you survived the March 15th deadline.  

0 Cheers