Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS shows no return on file for client whose return was e-filed and accepted. what now?

ejdtaxman
Level 7

This may be the most bizarre issue I have ever encountered. short history: 

Return filed March 19, 2022. 

April 22, 2022 client indicates he still doesn't have his refund. 

I looked his information up online and the IRS website doesn't even show any return on file. 

April 27, 2022 (today) client signed a 2848 so I called the IRS practitioner priority line. They verified that, inexplicably, there is no return on file. And then instructed me to file the return again. 

Is this possible? Do I need to delete the entire file and re-do everything? what is the recourse now? 

I am extremely perturbed to say nothing of client who is waiting for his refund. 

0 Cheers
23 Comments 23
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
That usually means its been pulled into some kind of error checking or ID verification processing....Im not sure how much a rep can really "see" in this situation.

At any rate, if you already EF the return and you've got a submission ID number for it, you won't be able to EF it again.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

A person answered the Tax Practitioner Priority Line phone?

I would not file again. Just tell client to wait. Lisa is right.

They've got trainees at TPP. They should know that if it is efiled and you have a confirmation that it must still be in processing somewhere. Unfortunately, 5 weeks is not a long time to wait for a refund.

P.S. There is nothing bizarre about this, except for the clueless person you spoke to.

Ex-AllStar
GodFather
Level 8

Can you confirm that you do have a Submission ID # ?

ejdtaxman
Level 7

yes, I have a submission ID.

0 Cheers
ejdtaxman
Level 7

I know 5 weeks is not a long time to wait for a refund. I have clients that wait 5 months or more. 

What is unusual to me is that after more than a month there is no record of it whatsoever. I have had people have issues with the ID verification and various other issues that hold up the return. In every single instance the return at least showed up in their database. The fact that it doesn't show up at all is very disconcerting. 

I guess I'll just call back and see if I can get another trainee to locate it. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Even if they do find it, the answer will be - wait for it to get processed.

I had a client contact me two weeks ago about his 2020 return, filed 10/15/21, not showing up in the database. I've got an efile acceptance so I'm not worried.

Ex-AllStar
rbynaker
Level 13

I agree with SJR, there's a whole lot of "right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing" at the IRS.  Can you try the e-file help desk and see if they can track down the SID?

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/e-help-desk-for-tax-professionals

Rick

BobKamman
Level 15

In the last three weeks of tax season, in the third year of the pandemic, you find it unusual that the IRS e-filing server has not communicated the assessment and credits to the IRS master-file computer, which then passes it along to the server that posts return status on the public-facing "Where's My Refund" website?  

I find that expectation bizarre.  

ejdtaxman
Level 7

thank you for being helpful. I don't know why I didn't think of this. much appreciated. 

0 Cheers
ejdtaxman
Level 7

as far as I understand it, the MeF is pretty much automated. so yeah, I find it unusual it doesn't appear at all. 

It's not like I am saying it's unusual he doesn't have his refund yet, or that it's a big deal that his return is being held up. It's just odd that no record of it exists. 

if this sounds outlandish or bizarre to you, then I guess we will just agree to disagree.

BobKamman
Level 15

As far as I understand it, IRS as recently as last week has posted:

"As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue 

ejdtaxman
Level 7

I called the efile center . they told me to retransmit it also. 

I am going to wait a while and see what happens. 

0 Cheers
ejdtaxman
Level 7

I guess it could be a fraud issue. None of the other issues apply. 

But if that were the case I don't know why I would be told to retransmit by 2 different people. I guess they really don't know wtf they are doing. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

That won't work since you already transmitted it. It won't go through.

Ex-AllStar
ejdtaxman
Level 7

thats what I was thinking. I thought maybe if I deleted the entire file and recreated from scratch, then I might trick the program into thinking it hadn't been filed. 

Then, if the IRS really doesn't have it, I assume it would go through. 

Doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble. Bunch of dingbats. 

0 Cheers
ejdtaxman
Level 7

providing an update on this issue since it seems highly unusual to me. 

I have called the IRS several times and always gotten the same answer that there is no record of anything filed. I also called the E-help desk twice and was told not once but twice to re-file it. 

I called and spoke with IRS accounts mgmt today and there is still no record. 

It occurred to me to check online with NY and see if there was any record of that return being filed. It had not occurred to me before because there was no refund associated with that return, so I would have to add him as a client on the NY DTF website before getting any further info. 

NY also shows nothing filed. This is inexplicable. 

To reiterate, both IRS and NY were E-filed and accepted on 3/19/22 and I have a submission ID for both. This just seems like a software malfunction and has resulted in a detriment to my client. Moreover, it has strained the professional relationship btw my firm and my client. 

In light of the myriad other issues ProSeries has had this year, it is looking less and less likely that we will use Proseries in the future. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

This is not unique to ProSeries.

per IRS (using the link Bob provided): As of July 29, 2022, we had 10.2 million unprocessed individual tax year 2021 returns. ..... If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Yes, I would definitely cancel a software subscription based on the experience with one client, before all the facts are known.  It's like an FBI search warrant, who needs the details when your mind is already made up?  If enough people have a fit of rage, maybe it will cause an exodus to alternative software.  Make HRB Great Again!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"I also called the E-help desk twice and was told not once but twice to re-file it. "

Have you attempted to re-file it?   Does it tell you a return has already been filed?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ejdtaxman
Level 7

Yes, I actually did. I had to delete the file, re-transfer it and complete it as a new return. I e-filed it and it was accepted again, although it looked a little weird since the file name appeared to be slightly different (i.e. FILENAME_sp instead of FILENAME_tp).

I checked this morning and both IRS and NY are now showing up. It only took 2 days. 

0 Cheers
ejdtaxman
Level 7

I have the details. I'm not sure what you mean. Are you being facetious? What detail could I possibly wait for to make that decision? 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Was this return by chance a MFS and you prepare both taxpayer and spouse returns?   Reason I ask, there was some issues with efiling one return and the other showing as efiled also.

ejdtaxman
Level 7

I think we had used the MFS utility at one point, where you prepare the return jointly and then split the return into 2 separate ones. That's the reason for the filenames formatting as they do, as the filenames transfer year to year. 

However, this is not a MFS return, he files single. The splitting was purely to illustrate to him how it would look if they were married. And since we didn't want to enter the data twice, I did the above. 

0 Cheers