Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an owner/employee of SCorp make max pretax 401K contribution and 25% SEP contribution for the salary

Beachkids5
Level 3

Can an owner/employee of SCorp use max 401-k pre-tax contribution and 25% of salary for SEP contribution 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Their overall limit is 25% of compensation. But an over 50 contribution doesn't count toward the limit.

Ex-AllStar

Hi SGRCPA,

"Their overall limit is 25% of compensation. But an over 50 contribution doesn't count toward the limit."

So, for example, does this mean that if an SCorp owner's SEP for 2021 is $32,000 ($128,000 x 25%) and they are > 50 yrs old they can contribute up to $6,500 more?

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Are there two different employers?  i.e. S-Corp has SEP and "regular" unrelated W-2 job has 401(k)?

I don't have a cite handy but I didn't think an employer could have both a SEP and a 401(k).

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@ea_rva aka acctgtaxmatters 

Started their own new topic, here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/s-corp-sep-contribution...

No need to keep diving into it in both places. And especially, this topic is from last year, and a new topic will get current info. Retirement plans and tables are a moving target and change every year, even without the new bills that were passed that affect 2021.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers