Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation

ak70
Level 2

I have a question that I just cannot get my head around today.  I am working on the depreciation module of a rental property that I have been doing for the last 10 years and I just printed off the 2021 Asset Life History.  I noticed that the 'depreciation for the year" is not the same as the depreciation taken on the Schedule E worksheet.  And the "depreciable basis" increased on the Asset Life History report from the prior year.  I should no this, but I am having a brain freeze.

Here are the facts:  the 2020 Asset Life History shows Depreciable Basis at $600,384 and year 10 depreciation of $21,832, but depreciation on the return was only $18,368.  Business use was 70.33%.  Depreciation carryover was $54,388.

The 2021 Asset Life History shows Depreciable Basis at 676,4464 and year 11 depreciation of $24,598, but depreciation on the return was only $22,623.  Business use was 79.24%.  Depreciation carryover included the $54,388 from last year and now the $22,623 from this year.

Having the computer do these calculations is great, but I should know how it came up with it.  I can't seem to reconcile the numbers.  Thanks for your help in advance. - Alan

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Changing annual business use pct. messes up the Asset life history report.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

What is Depreciation Carryover - Do you mean Accumulated Depreciation?

Just trying to understand your situation and don't know the term depreciation carryover.

ak70
Level 2

But HOW does it mess it up?  I can't seem to reconcile it.

0 Cheers