Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W-2's issued to employees who work for professional sports teams and also travel with the team!

Spanky
Level 3

State wages of an employee working for a professional sports team and travels with that team are allocated to a particular state the individual traveled to and worked in during the tax year when that state imposes an income tax. Shouldn't wages allocated to states that do not have an income tax also be reflected someplace of the employee's W-2? Seems to me it should in order to insure that the correct state wages are reflected.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
pamdory
Level 8

In the Wages box on screen 10, where you enter the box 1 wages you can click on the box in the right of the input box to make multiple entries (in a multi-state return) and enter each state's wages assigning them to their respective states in the State column and then an entry for the non-taxed states that you designate US.  The total should equal your box 1 wages and you'll have the correct total for the home state.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

@Spanky wrote:

Shouldn't wages allocated to states that do not have an income tax also be reflected someplace of the employee's W-2?

Yes, it would, in Box 1 for federal and Box 15-16 for their home state.  But for states in which they worked during those trips but levy no individual income tax, there'll be nothing to report for Box 15-16 since those states simply don't have any W-2 reporting requirements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Spanky
Level 3

Here are  the potential problems I see with date,  Box 16 on all W-2s won't add up to the correct amount needed to be reported to the State of NJ.  The amount must be increased on the State return.  It's conceivable the NJ will correct the amount reported based on whaat is shown on the W-2.  For others that prepare their own taxes, or don't know the rules, whatever is in Box 16 for New Jersey will get reported, which is now being understated. Oh well, nothing I can do about that!

0 Cheers
pamdory
Level 8

In the Wages box on screen 10, where you enter the box 1 wages you can click on the box in the right of the input box to make multiple entries (in a multi-state return) and enter each state's wages assigning them to their respective states in the State column and then an entry for the non-taxed states that you designate US.  The total should equal your box 1 wages and you'll have the correct total for the home state.

Spanky
Level 3

Thank you Pamdory,

I'll give it a shot.  Sadly, it's like like pulling teeth to get the states and amounts not taxed.  They should be supplied to the employee along with the W-2.  Thanks again for your suggestion 

0 Cheers