Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Amount on Advance Child Tax Credit Letter 6419?

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

There is an interesting TurboTax question, and that person says their Letter 6419 is wrong.

They looked at BOTH of their online IRS accounts, and the IRS accounts match the amount that they actually received.  But the combined Letters 6419 is showing a different amount.

It is possible it is user error somewhere, but the fact their online IRS account matches the actual amount they received makes it seem legitimate.

Sigh.  It may be another long tax season.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

28 Comments 28
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive seen this reported in other tax pro groups...no clue how we're supposed to deal with this. Maybe its buried in an IRS FAQ somewhere?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

I just wanted you folks to be the first to hear ------------- I am officially announcing my retirement.  Today is my last day on the job.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

See you tomorrow...Beer and golf clubs in hand.

abctax55
Level 15

"....It may be another long tax season."

MAY ?!?!   I think it already is...

I may resort to the earlier suggestion somewhere (in a different thread) of firing all clients with children 🤣

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Hillenburg
Level 4

It's not that easy.

MyFamilyTaxes
Level 1

Just to chime in that I do taxes and I'm a mom, and the amount on our Form 6419 also seemed incorrect: only half of the amount reported in the CTC portal.  But apparently even for married filing jointly they are sending two separate letters to spouses. Rather than the letters being duplicates, you're supposed to add the amounts together. There may be actual errors but it may be worth asking your client if they are adding the two together or assuming they were duplicates.

CJ from Maine
Level 2

Always remember...the amount that IRS provides may not match the amount received, if there is an outstanding collection against the taxpayer, just sayin...😉

0 Cheers
BethanySarahhh
Level 2

Mine is over a grand less on the form than what I actually received. I have already filed. Sigh. We will see if it gets kicked back 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Only very narrow specific collections can be taken from these payments. It's not as liberal as EIP or tax refunds. Let's not start rumors.

And...

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Income Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte Tax Preparation programs, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Your input there would be more helpful to all of the non-professional tax preparer users, there. That's why the TurboTax Forums exist; to help DIY help each other.

Your sign in user info here is the same one you can use over at the TurboTax forum, if you don't already have a username there.

Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@BethanySarahhh   

Did you use the amount on the letter, or what your records show you actually received?

BethanySarahhh
Level 2

I used the amount I actually received.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
It will be interesting to see if the return gets sucked into manual processing or not.

BethanySarahhh
Level 2

I’ll keep you guys updated!

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@TaxGuyBill   Thank you the heads up.

0 Cheers
lucrecia
Level 4

Hi Lisa, do you know if we can split the amounts on 6419? 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im not sure what you mean by split the amounts....I know we've got a line for Taxpayer and a line for Spouse (payments came separately for each person) on that Form 8821.

abctax55
Level 15

Lisa... her other thread:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-talk/discussion/hello-all-question-on-the-advctc-form-le...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ahhh, ok.  No splitting anything, you got what you got. 

If its  not enough, you will get more. 

If you got too much, you may have to pay some back, depending on your situation.

IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

IRS Statement ---Child Tax Credit Letters

0 Cheers
lucrecia
Level 4

Well what my question shouldve been is, did you find a way how to alter amounts from the 6419. A Client who has 2 dependents is giving 1 of her dependents to her Partner who has zero dependents last year. So the software is computing that the Client pay more because 1 missing dependent from the advance child credit. And the Partner is now receiving credit for that dependent but yet the Client had already received that credit on her 6419. Do you know a way how to adjust this? ..Im sorry i know it sounds really confusing how the way i explained it. Lol , and thank you for replying by the way i appreciate it!.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@lucrecia wrote:

Well what my question shouldve been is, did you find a way how to alter amounts from the 6419. A Client who has 2 dependents is giving 1 of her dependents to her Partner who has zero dependents last year. So the software is computing that the Client pay more because 1 missing dependent from the advance child credit. And the Partner is now receiving credit for that dependent but yet the Client had already received that credit on her 6419. Do you know a way how to adjust this? ..Im sorry i know it sounds really confusing how the way i explained it. Lol , and thank you for replying by the way i appreciate it!.

There is nothing to adjust.

The client gets the credit for one child, minus her advance credit (based on two children).

The "partner" gets full credit for the one child.   The fact that your client received Advance payment for the child does not affect that at all.

0 Cheers
lucrecia
Level 4

The "partner" gets the full credit for the child but when i put zero on partners 6419 worksheet it gives partner an additional $1,800 refund. I need to remove that because "client" already received that $1,800 on her Advance Child tax payment.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Re-read my comment above.

0 Cheers
lucrecia
Level 4

Thank you for your help i appreciate it! 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

It's possible that someone who got funds and does not qualify, is going to see on their tax form that the amount they got will be listed as "more taxes owed" which means they have to repay. For certain income levels, there is repayment forgiveness. Just go through the process. Of course, it would be nice if they avoid double-dipping, but that isn't always possible.

MrLiam
Level 1

I'm replying here because I can't find a way to ask a question. My daughter lives in a foreign country, and I do her tax return for her. She received AdvEITC checks in 2021, but since she wasn't eligible (foreign residency), I returned the checks to the IRS. However, she still got a 6419 letter indicating she was paid. I'm not sure what to do, but I'm leaning towards filing her return and showing zero received, and then await the inevitable letter claiming additional taxes due from the IRS and dealing with it then.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@MrLiam 

"I'm replying here because I can't find a way to ask a question."

You seem to be lost on the internet. You don't seem to have a Software Use question.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Income Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte Tax Preparation programs, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer using TurboTax. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

And try this screen, for the various topics (subforums): https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/discussions/discussion/03/302

Your sign in user info here is the same one you can use over at the TurboTax forum.

Thanks.

Taxprohere
Level 7

The GateKeeper at work! 🏰 

0 Cheers