Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxpayer is a part year resident of PA and NJ but Spouse is a full year resident of PA

kmdiorio
Level 1

I have a client who married in 2022.  The taxpayer lived in NJ for 3 months and PA for 9 months.  The Spouse lived in PA for all 12 months.  Taxpayer only earned income in NJ while the spouse only earned Income in PA.  How do I file the PA tax return?  I'm trying to file it as a joint return and part year resident (even thought the spouse is a full year resident) but pro-series is not taxing the taxpayers income as a PA part year resident.  Proseries is only including the spouses income.  Do I have to have them file "married filing seperate"?  That doesn't seem like it would be fair since they did marry in 2022.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

PA and NJ have reciprocity.  File MFJ in PA and a NJ NR/PY return. When you allocate income to the NJ return show only the 3 mos He was a resident. The rest gets reported on the PA return. 

If his w2 shows all withholdings in NJ then claim them in NJ. Likely, overpayment in NJ, underpayment in PA

Moving forward NJ employer should be withholding PA tax.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
kmdiorio
Level 1

I am filing a NR/PYR return in NJ and I was successful in only getting 3 months of the taxpayers income in the NJ return.

The PA return is not allowing me to show 9 months of taxpayers income as PA since the only withholding on his W-2 was from NJ the W-2 is not showing any PA income.  Any suggestions on how I get the 9 months of income on the PA return?  I've tried everything I can think of. 

Thank you for your reply!

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

On the w2 worksheet enter 1 line with 9 mos pa income and one line w/ NJ income and withholdings 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers