Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I e-File a 2021 amended return that I did not originally do?

sid1024
Level 2

I have a client that needs to me to do a 1040x for there personal 2021 tax return. I did not do the original return. After re creating the original return, can I efile it? I am having issues trying to figure it out. 

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you just need to mark the box on the Fed Info Worksheet that the Original was successfully efiled, its right underneath the box you check for efiling the amended.

Id give you some screen shots, but Im at home and Im not set up for Efiling here so its just giving me red  errors on everything EF related.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sid1024
Level 2

Thank you. I created the original than opened it and added the 1040x. However in the e-file center it does not show the new return as amended. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

after you marked in the federal information worksheet on both boxes, that original return was efiled and to efile the amended return, did you call up a 1040X and put an X in the 2021 box to amend?

sid1024
Level 2

The client gave me their tax return which I re-created. I checked the box that said file return electronically. Then I saved it. Then I opened up the client again and I added the 1040 X, I clicked that the return was already electronically filed, and I also clicked file amended return electronically. Then I saved that file by clicking save as and I put an X next to it to make sure I was working on the correct file. Once I made all the changes, I went to the efile center and I did not see the amended return. It just shows it as a duplicate and it does not say amended. 

0 Cheers
sid1024
Level 2

The client gave me their tax return which I re-created. I checked the box that said file return electronically. Then I saved it. Then I opened up the client again and I added the 1040 X, I clicked that the return was already electronically filed, and I also clicked file amended return electronically. Then I saved that file by clicking save as and I put an X next to it to make sure I was working on the correct file. Once I made all the changes, I went to the efile center and I did not see the amended return. It just shows it as a duplicate and it does not say amended. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You shouldnt have 2 files. 

I wouldnt have used Save As, I would have just saved the original file that had been amended.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  and @Jim-from-Ohio  might be able to continue this discussion if they see the new thread you started today.  

0 Cheers