Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching a PDF to an amended return for efiling.

lwhitecpa
Level 2

I am trying to efile an amended return in 2023 Proseries.  When I go to e-file, attach PDF files, the "add attachment" button is grayed out.  The original return has been accepted by the IRS.  Can I not add a PDF to the amended efile transmittal?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im not sure you can attach to an amendment...what are you attaching?  Are you sure its necessary? If youre trying to submit some kind of required back up documentation, you should really send it by mail. 

EF 1040Xs dont get processed any quicker than a paper one, they print them out and they go in the stack like any other, you just save on the mailing time.

PS:  I had a client get  a letter last week, we EF a 1040X in March, the letter said Thank you for your 1040X received June 7th, but you forgot to sign the return, please send a new copy of the 1040X with a signature...so they cant even tell the difference between whats been mailed and whats been EF'd.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
lwhitecpa
Level 2

Oy.  Thank you for the reply.  The docs must be attached, it's a 1042 election.  I have opted to paper file.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I don't think they print out the e-filed amended returns; they scan the paper ones, so everyone is working with images on a computer screen, not paper on their desk.  I think the question might relate to the requirement that for any forms and schedules that are changed, a copy of the original and the amended should be attached.  If the system won't allow attaching copies of originals, my guess is that means they are not really needed.  (Probably aren't with paper returns, either.)

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

For those who wonder what really goes on in the IRS factories, here's a clue:

Background

1. The Image Control Team (ICT) scans taxpayer submitted amended and duplicate filed returns, claims, loose forms, and correspondence and internal adjustment requests using the Kodak scanner and Ephesoft software to convert the paper documents into digital images that post to the Correspondence Imaging System (CII) for use by Accounts Management staff. The daily workflow consists of batching, document preparation, scanning, review, validation, error inventory, and quality review.

0 Cheers