Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1042S

nabdella
Level 1

You know Proseries is on the decline these days. I have a non-resident taxpayer that came income and federal tax withholding on form 1042S and I was told by Proseries that 1042S isn't supported by Proseries. How have you guys dealt with such issues? 

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

ProSeries on a decline?  2023 tax year was one of the best ever for ProSeries.. As far as your 1042-S question. this has been addressd here: https://accountants.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/1042-s-form/00/46419

nabdella
Level 1

None answers my question. I am preparing 1040NR and Proseries told me it isn't supported. Income and withholding are both reported on form 1042S and Proseries can't produce such a simple form

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The 1042S is produced by the payor. Income tax software won't prepare this, just like it does not prepare W-2s and 1099s.

The info from the 1042S goes on the 1040NR.

Ex-AllStar
nabdella
Level 1

It is clear but can you go and find form 1042S in 1040NR in Proseries and put the information? Proseries already admitted they don't support form 1042S and they can't help. My question here is what is the alternative option.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

My friends Jim and Sue addressed your post. No software is 100% perfect, but Pro Series did a very good job last year, and I have criticized them in the past, but I give them credit for 2023 tax season. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

What kind of income is on the 1042S?

How much federal withholding is there?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Box 1 on the 1042-S will tell you what type of income is being reported.  You'll just have to figure out for yourself where that goes on the 1040-NR.  Then the tax withheld goes here:1042.jpg

If that's too complicated, maybe there is easier software available elsewhere.  Or you could just tell clients you do not prepare 1040-NRs.