Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print one return then crashes when I go to print another on 64 bit system

PeterPlumb
Level 2

Having to restart Proseries in between prints otherwise print crashes when the first page of the print goes to printer.   Running Win 7 Professional 64-bit

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Just one of them...and there are links in this one to use to sign up for notification when (IF ?) it gets fixed.

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/questions/1799703-program-stops-working-when-trying-to-prin...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
39 Comments 39
PeterPlumb
Level 2
THIS IS STILL HAPPENING...WHEN IS A FIX COMING?
0 Cheers
beeperp
Level 1
This is still not fixed!  Had two computers crash this morning when trying to print.  WHEN WILL THE FIX HAPPEN?
0 Cheers
MDAROSA1
Level 3
when will this get fixed?
0 Cheers
MDAROSA1
Level 3
when will it get  fixed. I cannot get through to support
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9
@Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr) @Charlene_At_Intuit @Matt105 any update guys?  This has gotten work for some of us.  When is this going to be fixed?
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
So unlike the 32-bit memory allocation issue, 64-bit print crashes can vary, so first thing is are you using a printer that aligns with the System Requirements? https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1732106-system-requirements-for-2018-proseries-pro... Most things in ProSeries may be printed to PDF. If the PDF file looks correct when viewed in Adobe Reader, then the program is working as expected and the issue is most likely with the printer. At this point, you can print through Adobe or see https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1608736-solving-printer-problems for more help in troubleshooting that. Anti-virus software with real-time scanning can also cause performance issues with ProSeries. and you may want to work with a tech to ensure you're excluding PS from that.
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9
PCL 5E.  512 MB of memory

If anti virus is a problem then it is a Pro Series problem because it has been working so a change made by Pro Series causes the problem.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I'm not having issues ------------------ yet, but I am concerned that one day this is gong to be my problem too.  But since I'm not a programmer can someone please explain to me why a printer works fine for two months and then you run a ProSeries update and that same printer no longer works --------- and it's the printer's fault?  Maybe if I was a rocket scientist I could understand things better, but I don't quite get it, but I would be happy to try and understand it if someone could give me a good explanation.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
They don't know why its happening to some people so they don't know how to fix it.  

I can confirm its not an anti virus issue, I uninstalled my anti virus and still have print/crash issues...they happen less frequently after I power off and restart both my computer and printer...so Ive been doing that a couple times a day with lots of success....I have to reboot after a PS update, or I cant print at all.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
JM-Alderman
Level 2
Every day my computers crash when I need to print something.    I try to print and the software prints one page and crashes.   I have two stand alone PCs with windows 10, 64 bit and and each is connected to a different printer, different models with plenty of memory.   This is the worst tax season from pro series yet.   Can't even print an invoice without it crashing.  I should not have to print to PDF then go to the PDF and print from the PDF.   WHEN IS INTUIT GOING TO FIX THEIR PROBLEM?   I'm so hesitant to try and print anything that I have to make sure I've saved the file and gone back to home base because it's almost certain to crash.   This is Intuit's problem and needs to be a priority fix.  What a waste of time and effort with this issue
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
@joan what message pops up after that first page prints?

0 Cheers
MDAROSA1
Level 3
Are you kidding me ashley?   It says program has stopped working and closes out...how many time we have to tell you
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Everyone that is having problems has a different issue....I never see any error or message, the program just closes and disappears....the fact that you see a message that the program has stopped responding, means your issue is different than mine.
Some people get one page to print then it crashes, I never get any pages....which means their issue is different than mine too.

0 Cheers
JM-Alderman
Level 2
I can also confirm its not an anti virus issue, I uninstalled my anti virus and still have print/crash issues.  No error message - Just prints one page and then  crashes.   Even tried printing from USB connection v network printer connection and both crash after printing one page.    It prints one page and then disappears.   No error message,   Have to reboot software and if there was anything on that page, I've lost the data if I didn't save it first.
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
@MDAROSA as Lisa mentioned, there are different errors/popups depending on the root cause of the exact issue.

@joan let me see what I can find out
0 Cheers
MDAROSA1
Level 3
We took all anti virus off, uninstalled form 1040 nr...what else do we have to do?  All other years work just fine....I cannot believe Proseries is just ignoring or acting like they have to diagnose every computer when we all have the same problem.....CRASHING AFTER FIRST PAGE.
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
mine has been consistent from day one.... acts like it is going to print...and then like "Dark Magic", it just goes away....no warning...no message on the screen or anything. I have been with ProSeries for over 2 decades...this may be thing that drives me  to Drake or  somewhere else...
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
JM-Alderman
Level 2
I agree, I've been with pro series from when it was MacInTax back in 1986.  I've never thought of going to Drake until now.   This is beyond reasonable.   How come there wasn't beta testing going on prior to tax season?  It's incomprehensible that they changed something as simple as a print code and can't fix it
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
LOL  I got the dark magic issue too! I look at the screen, see the print box,  glace over at the printer, look back at the screen and its all just POOF gone!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Just one of them...and there are links in this one to use to sign up for notification when (IF ?) it gets fixed.

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/questions/1799703-program-stops-working-when-trying-to-prin...

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
And this gets a no vote WHY?   I don't get paid extra for finding, for you,  the numerous posts about the problem.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Since you answered the question, you must work for Intuit and therefore you aren't helpful :wink:   Either that or someone is just an idiot.:wink:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
With all the sh*t I'm dishing out to Intuit for the PS printing cluster a...someone thinking I work for Intuit is either delusional or not paying attention.  So that leaves idiot, eh?
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I wanted to say that, but I thought I should try to phrase it in a more politically correct approach.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
It's been a long week, especially the last two days....I don't have time, nor do I really care, about being PC :smiling_imp: .:smiling_imp:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Desktop TurboTax is in even worse shape, they cant even open forms without crashing...it uses the same engine as ProSeries.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
If I was a programmer for Intuit right about now, I think I would be updating my resume :worried::worried:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
How the hell did this happen ?!*$%*#

Was NOTHING tested in the last thirteen months leading up to this?

Somewhere, somehow - SOMEBODY dropped the ball and dropped it big time.  I've lived thru many snafus with Intuit over the decades, but nothing that approaches this one.  As I've said in other threads, the lack of accountability AND the dearth of communication 8 days into this is unconscionable.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
@TaxGuyBill  mentioned over I the Lounge about them using some kind of new programming and transitioning to it over time....that's why so many features that worked previously don't work anymore, they've all been re-done from scratch with some kind of new programming (I barely passed computer programming in high school! so I dunno the correct jargon)....someone dropped a HUGE ball somewhere.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Somebody dropped a HUGE something; I'm not sure it was a ball though ...   ( :poop: perhaps?):poop:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
da big doo doo!

0 Cheers
greg
Level 3
ProSeries, please communicate something to your customers on the timing of this fix.
0 Cheers
greg
Level 3
If it helps anyone, we have been printing to a .pdf then printing the .pdf.  That seems to allow us to stay in the program without it crashing.  Definitely not ideal though.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
@greg
The only "fix" they have right now is temporary but should stop or reduce the crashes until they come up with something more permanent.
You need to uninstall as many of the different tax modules that you don't need right now, so if you don't need the 990 or the 1040NR or the 1120, or a bunch of different states, Uninstall them.   This will free up program resources so they can be allocated to Printing.
For WIn10
Right click the Start button > Settings > Apps   scroll down the list to Proseries 2018, click Uninstall    It will act like its going to uninstall the whole program, don't panic, it wont!   Another window opens with a list of modules to uninstall, choose the ones you can live without for awhile.  Now power off your computer and printer and fire it all back up.  
I believe for Win7, its under Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs  Uninstall PS18

0 Cheers
MDAROSA1
Level 3
what is the status...its not a resource issue. Stop blaming our computers. its Proseries programming issues. We need a fix
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

There are dozens of posts about the issue; PS is working on it.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
PeterPlumb
Level 2
yes, i saw them however it appears that someone has determined that it is a 32 bit issue, but i run 64 bit

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1799314-inv-25642-crashing-or-error-message-while-...
0 Cheers
MDAROSA1
Level 3
How do we know they are working on it
0 Cheers
Ephesians3-14
Level 8
I'm having the same problem - I have had to restart ProSeries 6-7 times a day because the software crashes when I go to print a return!
0 Cheers