Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohio Deferred comp returns

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@taxman1 taxman.. do you do any returns with 1099s from Ohio Deferred Comp.. the returns are being rejected due to problem with the EIN.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Update: https://www.ohio457.org/home

"The IRS unexpectedly merged two separate Payer’s Tax Identification Numbers (TIN) used by Ohio DC. Form 1099-Rs were originally issued with an inactive TIN. Per the IRS, Ohio DC participants should file their taxes using an updated Payer’s TIN. A revised Form 1099-R containing the updated Payer’s TIN has been posted to your online account. If you are not enrolled in eDelivery, a revised Form 1099-R will be mailed."

Unverified from another source: "The correct one is 31-1224569."

View solution in original post

18 Comments 18
taxman1
Level 4

Not yet with deferred comp.  But we have some coming.  Is it saying wrong ein ?  So far the biggest issue I see is remembering to enter 1099R taxable amount in the state taxable field on 1099R screen.  Never had to in the past, but now you do in order for school district returns to go through.  State goes through without it, but schools get rejected. 🙄

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@taxman1 yep.. hard reject. I went to the Ohio Deferred Comp website and they have this banner on their page: 

ALERT:

Due to an error in the IRS database that processes Federal tax returns, the IRS is unable to validate Ohio DC’s tax identification number. This could affect your ability to file your taxes. We are in daily contact with the IRS to advocate for the fastest resolution possible.

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio can your client mail it in? may be easier.

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

we may have to snail mail them.. I will give it some time to see if the issues gets fixed first though

0 Cheers
taxman1
Level 4

Cant we enter all 9's in the ein field for w2's and 1099's missing the ein ?  Might be an option.  

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I think the IRS does an EIN match and gets rejected if it does not match. 

0 Cheers
taxman1
Level 4

I just remember in the past if we had W2's missing State EIN's,  by entering 9's it would allow efiling and it would go through.  But that was with States, not Federal.  I remember way, way, back when efile was new (dial up), that all input field characters had to match 100% what the IRS had.  Was such a pain.

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

efiling was suppose to be so great, remember? 

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Update: https://www.ohio457.org/home

"The IRS unexpectedly merged two separate Payer’s Tax Identification Numbers (TIN) used by Ohio DC. Form 1099-Rs were originally issued with an inactive TIN. Per the IRS, Ohio DC participants should file their taxes using an updated Payer’s TIN. A revised Form 1099-R containing the updated Payer’s TIN has been posted to your online account. If you are not enrolled in eDelivery, a revised Form 1099-R will be mailed."

Unverified from another source: "The correct one is 31-1224569."

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

thanks! I am going to re-transmit with that EIN.

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

update.. I used that new EIN and the return got accepted. thank you. 

Tomrzz77
Level 1

Yes - state of Ohio knew nothing early in the week when I called - now there is info regarding 2 fed ID#s being merged - came out of nowhere, right!  Advised client to check for revised 1099-R on ODC site.

asmithiii15
Level 1

Any idea what Ohio Deferred Compensation's Ohio # is?  Trying to submit my School District Income Tax Return and can't without that number.

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

31-1224569

0 Cheers
asmithiii15
Level 1

That is their Federal #.  I need their Ohio #.

0 Cheers
GreekLady1960
Level 1

Use the old EIN for Ohio Deferred Comp.  It will work.  I just filed a return that I had the same issue on. The old EIN for Ohio Deferred Comp is 31-1284478

GreekLady1960
Level 1

The old EIN for Ohio Deferred Comp will work for efiling 2022 and 2023 returns.  It is 31-1284478

PATAX
Level 15

@GreekLady1960 Welcome to our forum.👍

0 Cheers