Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1031 One property for two. Exchanged property had a gain of $900K and sold for $1225k. The two new properties are worth $1885K in total.

chapguy19
Level 4
Is there anything to do with the $900K gain from the initial property?  They made up the difference between Prop A gain from the sold property and Property B & C, the acquired properties.  
It gets more squirrelly.
Now my client wants to sell one of the properties that will have a $50K FMV gain.
Do a apportion the gain from the initial 1031 exchange based on the two FMVs of the acquired properties?
Thanks in advance, Christopher
0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Apportion the deferred gain from the initial 1031 exchange based on the two FMVs of the acquired properties as of their acquisition dates.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
abctax55
Level 15

CFS Tax Tools has a *great* worksheet for working thru § 1031 exchange reporting.  

There are also various tools on-line.

It is highly doubtful PS is overly useful for determining the correct reporting ( Lacerte isn't).  

I work up the F 8824 (edited) manually first, with pencil/paper, to get all the numbers correct; you should do the same.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"