Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network

NPerezCPA
Level 2

Hello

I used to have a stand alone proseries set up  but now I have an employee who would need to access my proseries account from a different location. Do I need to have a network set up and a cloud description?  

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
jtsjoz
Level 2

We use the network license. We have a Fortigate firewall. For remote employees, we they can dial in with the Fortinet VPN Client.  For multiple work sites. We use site-to-site IPSec Tunnelling. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Remember, IF that employee will be actually EFiling returns from that other location, you'll need to get a separate EFIN for that address.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
NPerezCPA
Level 2

Thanks but why would she needs her own EFIN when she works for me and be using my business  information ( business name, EIN,  address &  EFIN)?     On the "Paid Preparer's Use Only"  section the only  items would change are the preparer's name and PTIN  right?  She has her own PTIN number already

0 Cheers
NPerezCPA
Level 2

I thought with cloud hosting, any member of my team can access  my  Proseries account anywhere and anytime to work on tax returns  right?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You are correct on both of your statements.

Slava Ukraini!
NPerezCPA
Level 2

Awesome. Thanks

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@NPerezCPA This is from pub 3112 which you should read in its entirety.

Adding New Business Locations
Providers may need to submit new IRS e-file Applications when expanding their e-file businesses to new business locations. EROs must submit new applications for additional fixed locations from which the origination of
the electronic submission of returns will occur. A separate EFIN is required for each fixed location that originates
electronic submission of returns. A fixed location is an office owned or leased by the ERO.  

NPerezCPA
Level 2

It is not a new location. I only have one business location. This worker of mine won't come to my office but rather prepare the tax return  remotely from the convenience of her home. She is going to access my proseries account using my business info. This is no different  me preparing tax returns  while on vacation isn't?  

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I can only speak to the IRS rules "A separate EFIN is required for each fixed location" You can interpret that however you want

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

As long as she sends the return to you and you transmit it EF, then youre fine...if shes transmitting from where she is, then you need an additional EFIN...FWIW, its super fast to get a 2nd one, only takes a couple days for approval.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪