Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITIN for Dependent

Adri
Level 3

Client has a 13 year old daughter from Mexico who lived with her mother in the United States for all of 2023. When filing child's W-7.....
Even though the child's passport doesn't have a date of entry (child is from Mexico) Can I send her passport as a stand alone document and nothing else? or do I still have to include the passport plus an additional document (like a school record) in order to prove her residencly?   Thanks 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rodrigo
Level 2

You need to include the passport and an additional original document to prove residency.

As suggested, is best to refer them to a CAA and maybe for the future become a CAA yourself.

How to become an Acceptance Agent for IRS ITIN numbers | Internal Revenue Service

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
BobKamman
Level 15

Is this a US passport or a Mexican passport?  If she is not a US citizen, what is her visa status?  

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

From the W7 instructions. Link to instructions. 

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

"Dependents. A passport that doesn’t have a date of entry into the United States won’t be accepted as a stand-alone identification document for dependents, unless they are from Canada or Mexico, or are dependents of U.S. military personnel stationed overseas

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Personally, I would send them to an Acceptance Agent to get the ITIN.

A passport is an important document.  Between the post office and the IRS constantly losing things, I would tell them an Acceptance Agent would be the better way to get the ITIN.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agent-program

rodrigo
Level 2

You need to include the passport and an additional original document to prove residency.

As suggested, is best to refer them to a CAA and maybe for the future become a CAA yourself.

How to become an Acceptance Agent for IRS ITIN numbers | Internal Revenue Service

0 Cheers
Adri
Level 3

Child has a Mexican passport and her tourist visa has not expired yet.  Her passport has not a date of entry but her permit, which is a separate piece of paper, does have a date of entry. 

0 Cheers
Adri
Level 3

I had followed those instructions many times in the past with no problem and the numbers were granted. The last ITIN request I sent was rejected because IRS said I needed to send additional documents. what got me confused. 

0 Cheers
Adri
Level 3

That makes sense.... Passport is to establish on thing.... identification. Additional document to establish another thing....residency. Thank you. 

0 Cheers
Adri
Level 3

Thank you for your answer 

0 Cheers
Adri
Level 3

thank you for your answer and your suggestion. 

0 Cheers