Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS notice

PATAX
Level 15

Client dropped off IRS notice CP14 today, which states approximately $5,000 due. It is dated July 10th. Clients return was electronically filed on May 30th. Client mailed in the payment with the voucher for approximately $4,800. The check did not clear until June 23rd. The IRS noticed dated July 10th does not give them credit for the $4,800 payment. Plus they charged around $150 in interest / penalties, which is okay. Since the check cleared, do you think I should call them as the third party designee? Not sure if I will be able to get through. Or should I wait and let it work through the system and hope the IRS corrects it with a subsequent notice? Thanks

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The computers spit out those notices on a set schedule, they don't know if a payment has been made in the past 30 days or not.   If they paid, just disregard.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Me personally, Im waiting until they correct in house. This a perfect example of paths crossing. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The computers spit out those notices on a set schedule, they don't know if a payment has been made in the past 30 days or not.   If they paid, just disregard.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

I explain it as the right hand automatically sends out the notices; the left had collects payments.  And the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Just wait and it "should" all filter out correctly.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Great reason to pay electronically.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
PATAX
Level 15

@Accountant-Man yeah I think you are right. Only drawback is it's one more thing that we are responsible for.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Since the pandemic in 2020 for 2019 returns, I encouraged my clients to pay electronically, either through the software or online themselves.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.