Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a seasoned enrolled agent but feel so stupid asking this question:

baflowers
Level 3

Could someone give me a reference as to where I can find the due date for a calendar year estate return filed. My ProSeries letter is stating the payment is not due until October. I have looked and looked and all I get are extension due dates of which I already know. Thanks for any help and no condescending replies..

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
sjrcpa
Level 15

1041?

California?

Ex-AllStar
Accountant-Man
Level 13

1041s are due by the 15th day of the 4th month after year end, so calendar year estate 1041s are due April 15.

Extended due date for 1041s was changed a few years ago to September 30, not October 15.

Calendar years for estates are not very common, so I have to ask: what date did the decedent die?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
sjrcpa
Level 15

and this year April 15 = April 18 and September 30 = October 2.

Ex-AllStar
baflowers
Level 3

For the final payment for 22? Is October??

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is this a CA estate?

Or, was an extension filed?

Ex-AllStar
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Answer my question, please: date of death?

baflowers
Level 3

Just Federal, yes Form 1041

0 Cheers
baflowers
Level 3

s, I know the due dates, filed an extension. He died 4/13/21

0 Cheers
baflowers
Level 3

4/13/21 Just trying to find out if my program is off for date of payment in their letter I enclosed. Showing payment due in October 2023. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The software defaults to the extended due date. The tax was due in April.

Interest and possibly penalties are accruing so your client should pay ASAP:

Ex-AllStar
Accountant-Man
Level 13

The default year-end date for an estate starting 4/13/2021 is 03/31/2022, unless a short year ending 12/31/2021 is chosen.

You said it was a calendar year estate, meaning the first year was 4/13/2021 through 12/31/2021. Was 2021, IF NEEDED, filed using that end date?

Was the SS4 requesting the estate's EIN filed using 12/31 as the annual end date?