Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hardware recommendation for travel

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Anyone have a recommendation for bringing proseries on an extended vacation?  Does it run on a chromebook for example?  I don't want to bring a full size laptop with me.  Its really for emergency use, I have a few clients under audit and might have to verify and send info to the IRshardware recommendation, ProSeries Professional

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

You would need to install windows on the Chromebook.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/product-system-requirements/system-requirem...

Look for a small PC with these requirements

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Anyone have a recommendation for bringing proseries on an extended vacation?"

Personally, I would just go alone.  I don't think it deserves a vacation quite yet.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Jeff... particularly not an 'extended' vacation 😂

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Does it run on a chromebook for example?"

A Chromebook is meant for internet-based work, really. The amount you would spend to get a Chromebook also capable of running a Windows 11 operating system is more expensive than getting a Windows system directly and that would be similar to getting a Mac, and trying to run Windows, so that you can use either type of program. That's a lot of compatibility to expect (not going to be reliably compatible).

Also, Windows 11S isn't compatible. S = safe mode = restricted program installations. ProSeries is not a Microsoft product, so they are protecting you from trying to use non-MS programs 🙂

And consider what other programs you want with you. I need a full-blown MS Office, and not that crippled Office 365.

You can get a smallish laptop that still has lots of computing and video ability. The SSD market has changed laptop configurations, too, making for much smaller formats and less power needs. Don't overlook that you can find a smallish keypad, separate (as USB), if you want to go really small of a laptop.

Personally, I love a 17", even for traveling, but a 15" or 15.something works well, and you might find you like a 13". Today's laptops weigh 1/3 as much as in the past, as skinny, substitutes for a personal entertainment viewing device in a B&B or airplane setting, and you can find either fold-flat or keyboard removal ("2-in-1" because the keyboard and screen separate) and use it like a tablet.

Lastly, if you are traveling where there is good connectivity, you can use a tool such as GoToMyPC or JoinMe, and connect to an office system if there is someone at the other end that can help open the connection. Maybe all you need is a stand-by solution for that emergency need. Or, if there is someone in an office that works with you, you connect and share through their computer and can delegate to them, once you review that issue with them, and you don't need anything with you except a phone to connect and share.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.