Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1116 efile error

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

MelissaL
Level 4

My boss posted the issue on her Proseries Facebook group and the moderator said there may be a fix on Thursday with the update.

MelissaL
Level 4

We submitted a return with no carryovers. Rejected.

BradJones
Level 2

Issue is ongoing as of 3-8-2021. My proseries is updated, I have no "various" dates, and I reentered all the carryover data. 

0 Cheers
Joeyd
Level 2

Anyone either experiencing or able to determine how to resolve filing reject pointing to form1116. No changes to data year over year but won't go through.

0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi there, our development team is aware of this issue and have a fix scheduled for release 03/11/21. We appreciate your patience as we work through this. -Betty Jo
0 Cheers
BradJones
Level 2

Thanks for the update!

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

Do you know when on the 11th we can expect this release?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Updates almost always come out on thursdays, but the time of day varies. If you dont see it first thing this morning (like they released it last night), Id guess sometime after 9am Pacific time.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
DougLi
Level 1

11 March 2021 - Just updated my TurboTax Premier with the update for today. And, it still results in the same date error on Form 1116 as before. The update did not address the issue many of us seem to be having with efiling and use of Form 1116:

"Please review the "ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt" on Form "1116" in the section "ForeignTaxCreditSource"."

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

This is not fixed.  I just ran updates (update installed products and refresh updates) and e-filed a return and it was rejected.

MelissaL
Level 4

7:24am - I've run updates 2 or 3 times now this morning. While there have been updates none have taken care of this issue.  What is the new date that you think you will have this fixed?

IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Oh no, let me see what I can find.

-Betty Jo 

MelissaL
Level 4

I just spoke to tech support. She said they didn't have a definitive date (meaning yesterday) and that there may be an update next week (week of 3/15). Helpful!

0 Cheers
AlwaysOnTheRoad
Level 1

If you use the Non-Simplified AMT calculation then the "Country" will appear on the 1116 AMT form and be accepted.  I find this unacceptable where the Simplified AMT has been used on previous returns.  Otherwise, do  not claim the AMT carryover and file an amended return when Turbotax fixes the problem.

0 Cheers
SukiDonna
Level 1

What is the bottom line with this?  I am waiting to speak with someone. i submitted 2 x....and then read your note about date so I changed from various to 12/15/2020. It didn't happen last year

SukiDonna
Level 1

i am reporting that my tax return was finally accepted after removing various and putting in the date.  Folks on phone have no idea about the issue

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

I have a date entered and I still get the reject.  Support was no help at all after an hour on hold and another hour with a tech doing nothing productive.

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Today is 3/13 and its still not working and support is clueless.  After an hour with her, I had to come here to find out its a known issue.

0 Cheers
Trapper
Level 1

Did the scheduled fix get released?   I am still having no luck with getting accepted.  

0 Cheers
mletayf
Level 1

My client's return is being consistently rejected with the following message:

<<Make certain you have a country listed in each column of Form 1116 and an actual date in Part II for the Foreign Taxes Paid or Accrued>>

I have both required pieces of information already entered. I may take up someone's suggestion and try to use the 'Date Accrued' instead of the 'Date Paid'

0 Cheers
BradJones
Level 2

I just tried using accrued instead of paid, and still got rejected. 

0 Cheers
mletayf
Level 1

Thanks for the update as I was about to try using the 'Accrued Date'.

0 Cheers
Stel
Level 1

Please furnish an update, Melissa.  I tried to e-file three times this evening and each time the returns were rejected due to the Form 1116 error.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

Sorry, but I don't work for Intuit. I am calling in the morning and will post what I find, if anything.  You can call Tech Support or try the Community Managers who replied to other posts in this discussion.

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

IntuitBettyJo, do you have any information for us on the status of this fix?  We are into week 3 of not being able to file returns that have Form 1116 in them.  This is after waiting 2 weeks or so for the form to be final and able to be e-filed. Unacceptable.

0 Cheers
Stel
Level 1

Thank you, Melissa.  Sorry I thought you worked for Intuit!  I will check again in the morning for any resolution.  Fingers crossed all the bugs are worked out!

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

Posted Tues, 3/16, 6:56am Pacific

As of 5:29pm Monday (3/15) - the issue is with the development team, in progress, still under investigation.  All Intuit products are having an issue. Expecting a resolution by this week.  So they say...

Does anyone know anyone using tax software outside of the Intuit family of products? Are they having issues?

0 Cheers
timmurray
Level 3

Any update on the Form 1116 reject issue?  Has this been broken for three weeks?!?  Is that normal for Intuit?

Tim

0 Cheers
LesEdy
Level 3

It is normal for the 107 billion market cap Intuit. I guess the executives are too busy running their stock options numbers to pay attention to their users' problems. Prove me wrong, anyone in Intuit actually reading this.

0 Cheers
timmurray
Level 3

Isn't this a HUGE issue?  Not being able to e-file with just a modest amount of foreign tax paid from some RICs?

Seems like it would be affecting thousands and thousands of returns.

I just e-filed my rejected return and then noticed that a new program update was available.  I updated.  If return is rejected again, I'll try again with the new version.

We'll see what happens.

Tim

0 Cheers
timmurray
Level 3

Rejected again.

0 Cheers
BradJones
Level 2

There was an update today (3-17-2021) that allowed me to efile (accepted!!). On Form 6251-AMT, "elect to use simplified amt foreign tax credit limitation this year?", check the "no" box. 

I hope this works for everyone else!

MelissaL
Level 4

Thurs 3/18 5am Pacific

I just ran updates and now NO return using simplified AMT can be e-filed.  That's the new error when I open all of the returns with Form 1116.  Is that their great fix after 3 weeks of waiting?

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

Good morning.  Posting to you b/c you seem to have connections and these "community managers" actually respond to you.

I just ran updates and now NO return using simplified AMT can be e-filed.  That's the error when I open all of the returns with Form 1116 - you cannot e-file this form.  Is that their great fix after 3 weeks of waiting?

0 Cheers
timmurray
Level 3

My check box on Form 6251-AMT for "Elect to use simplified AMT foreign tax credit limitation this year?" was already set to "no". 

Updated software this morning.

Return still rejected.

Tim

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

Sigh. They are anticipating a release this afternoon that is going to fix the issues so that the forms can be e-filed.

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

3/18 2:35 est

this thread is going on so long and its hard to keep the replies in the right order.  May i suggest everyone put the date and time in their treads please.

0 Cheers
Stel
Level 1

Yes, worked for me - thanks!

0 Cheers
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

3/18 5:42est

what worked for you?  do you mean you can now efile?   i can't, still gets rejected.

0 Cheers
timmurray
Level 3

I decided to redo my Form 1116 entries for the one return that is having issues.  It appears that I had some discrepancies with how I inputted data due to having foreign tax paid from Form 1099-DIV and a K-1 from a trust.

After reentering all data, my return was accepted by the IRS.  I think in this case, it was user error, although it would have been nice if ProSeries itself would have flagged the issue prior to filing.  I had no ProSeries errors.

Good luck to whoever still has Form 1116 issues!

Tim

Trapper
Level 1

3/18 at 6PM CDT

I tried it and TT would not let me e-File at all due to using the Simplified Method to calculate AMT for Form 1116.  Said I must now file with paper. UGH!

0 Cheers
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

What did you change?  The one big return I need to get filed also has Foreign taxes from dividends and a partnership K-1.

0 Cheers
Stel
Level 1

What BradJones did...  Update software then select "no" to simplified method.  When I compared the Form 6251 before and after the change to "no," the forms were the same.  Finally accepted by the IRS.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

0 Cheers
timmurray
Level 3

What I did...

Instead of using column A & B, for some reason I had two Form 1116s. One for the K-1 foreign tax and one for the 1099DIV.  The total foreign income was not populated correctly for the K-1.  Not sure why, but I missed that.

When I started over, I kept everything on one Form 1116, used columns A & B, and verified that all entries were populated.

In the end, $98 of my client's foreign tax is now being deferred to 2021 resulting in a new refund $98 less than how it was originally calculated.

I'm clearly no expert with these forms, but all seems OK now.

Tim 

Trapper
Level 1

Tim,

Did you use the simplified method for the AMT calculation?

0 Cheers
timmurray
Level 3

"No" to Simplified AMT

0 Cheers
timmurray
Level 3

When I say, "start over", I don't mean the whole return.  Just the foreign tax data after deleting the existing Form 1116s.

Trapper
Level 1

So - It appears that with current software version, you can e-file without the AMT Simplified Method for Form 1116 and TT will let you do it and the IRS might accept it.    With the Simplified Method, TT refuses to e-file and says sorry you must use paper. 

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

3/18/2021, 7:12pm PT 

@IntuitBettyJo 

What is the status of the fix for the 1116 reject?  Is it that we are to paper file all of our returns?  I've just run updates (and refresh updates) and the error telling us that we can't e-file with Simplified AMT elected still persists. Today is 3 weeks since this issue was presented to the developers.  When is this going to be fixed?

0 Cheers
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Thank you Timmurray.  I did as you suggested and put both foreign tax credits onto the same form and they went through last night.