Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message for Form 1099-Misc with other income linked to Schedule C

dlcoatscpa
Level 3

I have a client with a 1099-Misc where the amount is reported as other income.  It is actually SE income, so I have linked it to a Schedule C.  When I finished the return on Monday, there were no error messages.  Now it says "A link to Schedule C should not be included when the MWP qualifying as Difficulty of Care payments exclusion box has been checked".  I assume this is just a weird programming thing in ProSeries that will be fixed.  Anyone know where the box to which it refers is located in the software?  I can't find it.  I know I have ways around the problem, but I would like the software to do things correctly.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're currently working on this fix, if there's an update available feel free to test this out. 

Some of our product features are connected to TurboTax functionality, so if you see a fix here it will hopefully reflect in the TurboTax program as well. 

View solution in original post

60 Comments 60
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"MWP qualifying as Difficulty of Care payments exclusion box has been checked"

I know the W2 has a new checkbox for this, I dont see it for the 1099MSIC.   

You sure you dont have a W2 that the statutory employee box, page 2, Part I (would create a Sch C) and the MWP box, Page 2 Part VI (would create that error)  got checked down near the bottom of the W2 worksheet?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dlcoatscpa
Level 3

I am positive I do not have that situation.  This is specifically on the 1099-Misc.  It wasn't an error on Monday but is today.    

johnbarry
Level 2

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM - what is an MWP? 

johnbarry
Level 2

MEDICAID WAVER PAYMENTS  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Must be some weird issue that rode in on an update yesterday (late Wed, early Thurs is when updates go out), Id ditch the 1099MISC worksheet and enter the income direct on the Sch C.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ohhh, scroll down to below Box 18 on the 1099MISC worksheet, theres a Medicaid Waiver box there, its not checked, right?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

when that box is checked, I get the error...maybe check it then uncheck it?
1099mwperror.png

Sloan
Level 1

Same exact issue here. I was in the client yesterday and no issue. Go to finalize this morning and this error.

0 Cheers
MaggieLavon
Level 1

I don't even have that box as an option on my worksheet....

BobKamman
Level 15

Late February programmer motto:  "If it doesn't need fixing, let's break it!"

johnbarry
Level 2

I deleted the 1099 MISC and put the income on 1099 NEC and got rid of the error - what a waste of time. 

dkh
Level 15

on the 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC worksheet, there is a check box for MWP.   Are you sure it's not accidentally checked on your return?

0 Cheers
dlcoatscpa
Level 3

That box is NOT checked on any of the W-2s in the return.  

dlcoatscpa
Level 3

Exactly.  That is why I believe it must be a crazy random ProSeries error.

dlcoatscpa
Level 3

That box is NOT Checked.  I even tried deleting the 1099 and reentering it.  I only completed FEIN, Payor name, Box 3 amount and Linked it to the Schedule C.  It has to be a weird programmiing error!!

JenOC
Level 1

The MWP box does not exist on the 1099 MISC worksheet.  This error started after a software update last night.

IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks like this is a hiccup with the last release. 
We're looking into it and will keep this thread updated. 

JenOC
Level 1

That picture of the Medicaid Waiver line with the checkbox - does not exist in either the 1099 MISC or 1099 NEC worksheet after the software update that downloaded last night 2/22/2023.  So, clearly the software checked the box causing the error, and there is currently no way to uncheck that box.  

Intuit needs to fix.

abctax55
Level 15

@JenOC 

From GabiU's post 17 minutes ago..... 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

A lot of folks find posts and add to them, but not so many actually read what is posted by others. 😳

Slava Ukraini!
cdickinson66
Level 1

I am having the same issue here as well. 

abctax55
Level 15

Jeff.... no kidding... you would think I'd realize that by now.

( Generic Comment )"

Sure glad this thread is going to be updated.  It is so reassuring to know Intuit does not want to keep us in the dark.  Those updates we got on Forms 8960 and Forms 8915 were so informative and timely...oh wait, never mind.  

dlcoatscpa
Level 3

IntuitGabiU--Thank you!

dlcoatscpa
Level 3

Exactly!!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

@Frustrated-in-IL  - But it is so much easier for Intuit to just assume that everyone that uses their software reviews every post here everyday than it is to actually provide its users with a list of known issues.  Funny after all of this time nobody has suggested to Intuit how nice it would be to have a nice list of known issues. 🙄

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

As a side note, that sucks.  I'll have to go back and update my list.

Slava Ukraini!
StanthaMan
Level 1

I have the same problem and it started with the overnight update.

Looking forward to the fix.

0 Cheers
Kyote
Level 1

This problem is also in the Turbotax Home and Business version.  There is no box to uncheck!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Kyote  this isnt Turbotax support, sorry.

Im really surprised that so many people enter 1099s for Sch C, I've never done that, I just enter all the business income directly on the Sch C

lfrosa01
Level 1

Hi. Any updates on this? The rep I'm speaking with has no clue how to solve this. Keeps telling me to uncheck a box that does not exist in my software. The issue did not exist a few days ago and the error popped up today. I don't wan to enter a 1099-MISC as a 1099-NEC which seems to solve the issue but I don't want to create a problem for my client in the future. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

the box that needs to be unchecked disappeared in this weeks update... why are people using the 1099 worksheet, I just enter total business income directly on Sch C.

0 Cheers
EDauerman
Level 3

Hi, how do we override the MWP 1099 S error.  I see all the posts and yes this error started due to the release.  Does Intuit monitor these errors?  I can't figure out how to post it directly on the Schedule C.  Do I need to provide the payer's TIN when reporting income for the client on their Schedule C.  My client makes the 1099 income from one payer?  Appreciate your responses.

0 Cheers
johnbarry
Level 2

Hi - regarding the MWP error - I solved it by deleting the 1099 MISC and putting the info on a 1099

NEC

MABradshaw02
Level 1

Yep, i logged in tonight to submit my H&B 1099 and boom. now im in the **bleep** loop with 2 of my 1099's. I have 8 or so NEC's, no issue. These 1099 Misc's are causing this issue.  Now I wait until a NEW update fixes this.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Stupid question #1,253,668 - why are so many people entering 1099s into the software?  They aren’t like a W-2 - they don’t get transmitted with the returns.  Just enter the total revenues on schedule C or wherever the income belongs and move on with life.

Slava Ukraini!
MParish
Level 1

I also have the same problem using Home and Business version. 1099MISC. I was on the phone with a rep from TurboTax for over 2 hours today. She could not even help me. We deleted the 1099MISC and reentered it. She had me uninstall Turbotax / clear my computer cache/ power computer down/ turn back on and reinstall Turbotax.  The Error was still there. So I started a NEW return and just entered a 1099MISC and guess what?  The same error showed up!  I sure hope they get this corrected! 

0 Cheers
MABradshaw02
Level 1

Others say just enter as 1099NEC. No, I will wait until a new update resolves this. It is my tax return and I don't need the refund (only 1k), so no biggie. Got time.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sometimes I act a little silly and think we are using a forum for professional tax preparers——— how goofy is that 😮

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Stupid question #1,253,668 - why are so many people entering 1099s into the software?  They aren’t like a W-2 - they don’t get transmitted with the returns.  Just enter the total revenues on schedule C or wherever the income belongs and move on with life.

Ummm  - they aren't tax professionals?

Ummm - no concept of basic double entry accounting/bookkeeping and income tracking?

Ummm - unclear on IRS reporting requirements/needs?

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

Well, it is a bit late in your neck of the woods - perhaps that's why you are being silly?

( Generic Comment )"
hb1691
Level 1

I am experiencing the same problem. Error message received: "A link to schedule C should not be linked when the MWP qualifying as difficulty of care payments exclusion box has been checked."

Turbotax, can you get on this ASAP? I've got an underpayment of taxes issue (first time self-employed - oops) and the longer I wait apparently the more I'll have to pay.

0 Cheers
dlcoatscpa
Level 3

WOW people.  I feel like I am looking at Facebook.  I came here looking for an answer to my question and most of these answers just chastise me for the way I choose to prepare returns.  If you don't have an answer to my direct question, just scroll on by!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This isnt TurboTax support, youre in the wrong place.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@hb1691 

Turbotax, can you get on this ASAP

As this is NOT TurboTax - maybe you should wander back over to that forum for your suggestion that they get on it?   

This is (supposed) to be a forum for tax professionals, not DIYers.

( Generic Comment )"
vjgcpa
Level 2

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're currently working on this fix, if there's an update available feel free to test this out. 

Some of our product features are connected to TurboTax functionality, so if you see a fix here it will hopefully reflect in the TurboTax program as well.