Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-filing with ProSeries

Chuck Woodward
Level 1

Hi all,

I e-filed two returns, an S corp was e-filed back in August and an individual tax return was -efiled last week.  I have quality control sheets in place, and I am the one to sign off that the return was accepted as e-filed.  I happened to look a the status of all pending returns to look at the work needing to be finished and those two returns which I already e-file were sitting there waiting to be e-filed.

There was NO MISTAKE in my checking that these were accepted. I called ProSeries to discuss and go the "our system won't e-file them twice." No kidding. However, they ship these returns off to a third party vendor who w-files them. There are only about 4 companies allowed to access IRS databases and  ProSeries will NOT tell you who that company is.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have the feeling that their third party vendor had some sort of electronic malfunction, but who knows?  I am absolutely certain these returns were filed! 

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Have you checked if it was filed?

First, go to the E-file page of Homebase, highlight the client, then go to the "E-file" menu.  Then "Electronic filing" and then "Update ... selected returns".

If that doesn't come back as filed, have you checked with the IRS if they have been filed?

Chuck Woodward
Level 1

Oh, yeah.  I have been doing this and working with Pro Series for decades.  I was so shocked that I just re-sent the files before calling the IRS. Lucky for Massachusetts, we have an extended deadline to 2/15/2024 because of Hurricane Lee.

This actually happened to me about four years ago with one return and they admitted there was a problem with the e-filing.  They promised to send a letter so I could use if for penalty abatement, but they never sent it. With this event, I think it is a CYA on their part.  That's why I was asking if anyone else had a similar experience. 

Certainly, the service I am getting from Pro Series, the ever-increasing program issues I see, and the cost are making me to consider a switch. Like I said, I have been with this company for decades, so switching is uncomfortable, but in the forefront of my mind now.

0 Cheers