Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you change an electronic estimated tax payment for Q2 for Federal, State change is viewable on the EFT tracking but not the Federal.

Larojo
Level 2

Client is 100% 1099 income earner and pays quarterly estimated taxes. Submitted Form 1040 with Form 1040 ES prior to April 15, 2024 and first quarter tax payments for 2024 were deducted. Client advised income has increased since Q1 and now needs to increase estimated tax payments. Appears the state 1040 ES for Q2 new amount is reflected in the second voucher on the electronic withdrawal but do not see anything reflected for the change in the Federal 1040 ES Q2 payment for electronic withdrawal. Will the electronic funds withdrawal for Federal 1040 ES 2024 only be in the amount of the original voucher?  Should I just have client pay that difference via direct payment to the IRS?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

"Will the electronic funds withdrawal for Federal 1040 ES 2024 only be in the amount of the original voucher?  " Yes

"Should I just have client pay that difference via direct payment to the IRS?" Yes

Also, I do not think that the state payment is going to change either. Once you transmit, that's it.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

"Will the electronic funds withdrawal for Federal 1040 ES 2024 only be in the amount of the original voucher?  " Yes

"Should I just have client pay that difference via direct payment to the IRS?" Yes

Also, I do not think that the state payment is going to change either. Once you transmit, that's it.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youd need to call the phone number on the 8879 and cancel that originally scheduled payment, then use IRS Direct Pay and set up new ES payments OR just use IRS Direct Pay and make a secondary ES payment for the additional dollar amount.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Larojo
Level 2

Called customer service and only resolution is to file an amended return electronically. Didn’t make sense since the estimated payments have nothing to do with amending 2023 but everything to do with 2024 estimated tax payments.

thanks, advised client to direct pay both Federal and State for the difference.

Larojo
Level 2

Just going to advise client to direct pay the difference to both Federal and State, thank you.