Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a tax professional who uses ProSeries Basic share his client records with me simultaneously?

AssistantToMike
Level 1

Hi!  New to the software but generally software savvy.  Working this year with my Dad on tax preparation.  He has set me up as a User with administrative rights.  He believes we should be able to share is client files but I cannot find an documentation on it.  

My question is how do we share his client files?  He uses a laptop and is not on a network.  Are the client files stored in the cloud or locally on his hard drive.  

Thanks AssistTo Mike

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
abctax55
Level 15

Unless you chose to use 'hosting', the files aren't in the cloud.  

They are likely on his hard drive, or possibly a server if networking is used.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"He has set me up as a User with administrative rights."

Where? For his Intuit account? For his Windows computer? For a backup location, such as Dropbox? For his hosting service?

"He uses a laptop and is not on a network."

If his computer is not on a network, and he is not using a web-based function (such as a browser-accessed portal) and he is not using a hosted solution (where he logs into a cloud server to use tools and run a program), then you see a standalone system. That also is referred to as "air gapped." Meaning, no one except the person at the keyboard is able to use that program and its files. It's the ultimate in security = isolated.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.