Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8821 CAF NUMBER

HOPE2
Level 8

Hi to all.

My client did not receive her 2022 refund, and I filed Form 8829, uploading it to the IRS.

I called 800-829-1954, but it is an answering machine.

I called 800-829-1040 during this busy work season and have been on the phone for 2 hours, but got disconnected.

My client also tried to reach the IRS but was unsuccessful, just like me.

Do you know a fast way to reach the refund department or a method to connect with an IRS representative?"

Any help!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

@HOPE2 wrote:

what is PPS?

NP, @HOPE2.  PPS stands for Practitioner Priority Service.  You may like to look that up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

F.8821 doesn't give you the authority to discuss your client's taxes with the IRS, only to access the tax data.  What you need is a F.2848.

Who did you call at the IRS?  Wait time is aaaaaaaalways loooooooooong.  That's not surprising.

PPS is your best bet because that's a dedicated line for tax practitioners and the agents are generally more knowledgeable than those on the public-facing general line, and they can escalate things if necessary.

It's also better to call in the later part of the day.  And middle or later part of the week is typically better than the day right after weekends and holidays.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Before spending all that time on the phone, I'd also pull the transcript and check where it is in terms of processing as well as how the numbers tally.

Still an AllStar
HOPE2
Level 8

@itonewbie Very helpful!

what is PPS?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@HOPE2 wrote:

what is PPS?

NP, @HOPE2.  PPS stands for Practitioner Priority Service.  You may like to look that up.

Still an AllStar
HOPE2
Level 8

@itonewbie PERFECT.