Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airbnb / main home

MGC94
Level 7

First airbnb/rental for me where someone rented out their own home. 

Taxpayer used airbnb 1099-k $17,100

She airbnb her main (only) home August, September and October. She moved in with her sister for 3 months to do that. 

Do I put 92 days rented and 273 for personal use? 

Is that the only thing I need for it to calculate it correctly? 

Can I put in the repairs at the beginning of the year that she did to prep for airbnb? 

ownership percentage is 100%

I know its not an owner occupied rental because there was no other place for her to live. 

vacation home or property with personal use days?  Doesn't seem to really fit that either because its main home. Or is is that and: 

Do I only do box R with an X

And S with 365? 

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
dkh
Level 15

Have you tried Google (or whatever you prefer) to see what info is out there to help you ?

MGC94
Level 7

I did not try google or anything else. My favorite is asking you guys  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I did not try google or anything else. My favorite is asking you guys"

How many times will you see the comments that it is rude to ask peers first, people who are in your same business and working, to "help" you with things you cannot even be bothered to start helping yourself with?

If you need someone to find you resources, perhaps it is time to Hire Help.

Google, of course, offers free help:

airbnb tax main home

Results include:

https://assets.airbnb.com/eyguidance/us.pdf

Do you think everyone is kidding about help yourself first? You look it up, you read it, you use the program. Then, you ask if you still are not sure about something, cannot find something that is referenced, etc.

Sheesh.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
stmocha
Level 2

if you're too busy to help quit reading the questions. it would've taken just as much time to answer her question as it did to type that snarky comment.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@stmocha 

It's one thing for someone to ask for help when they have exhausted all means to get the answer themself. It's another to expect others to do the work for them.   I totally agree with @qbteachmt   especially based on the history of questions asked by Conwaytax94

So where's your answer....... you could've typed an answer in the amount of time it took you to type your criticism. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

@stmocha  "if you're too busy to help quit reading the questions. it would've taken just as much time to answer her question as it did to type that snarky comment."

Didn't you just do what you criticized someone else for?  So your total posts to date here is 1.  You really need to try a little harder before you criticize other folks that have helped a boatload of people to date.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"if you're too busy to help"

Ah, but I did, in fact, Help. That's because one of the things I am good at is Researching resources. Then, I keep them for easy reference.

"as it did to type that snarky comment."

It's not Snarky. It's a cautionary situation.

It would be a shame if someone's questions are boycotted for being constantly basic or trivial or otherwise deemed a nuisance, instead of realizing that, as the professional, they should understand they need to get the answers and understanding of these issues "under their belt" and then rely on peer volunteers when they get stuck. Because at this point, where to start has been covered over and over.

MGC94
Level 7

@dkh 

When I am asking other tax professionals vs google I get human interaction. I get to look at it from a way I might not have thought of. Google doesn't know the proseries software like you guys do. When you tell me I don't just toss your information out. I learn and it memorize it so I do not have to ask the same question again. It would help me if I have the same scenario later on this season 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Google doesn't know the proseries software like you guys do."

You hardly ask ProSeries questions, though. You've mostly asked questions best answered primarily (and sometimes fully answered) by simply using IRS resources, and secondly, by continuing ed, by "what's new" for the tax year, etc. And one of my favorites is Investopedia articles.

And Yes, I often google ProSeries and the topic ("excess Roth ProSeries" for instance), to find the links I keep providing for Help or How To articles. Google does, in fact, lead to using ProSeries well.

Where do you think my resources come from? Google is my copilot.

abctax55
Level 15

"....I get human interaction"

Yeah, well.... us 'humans'  are a bit busy right now and don't have a lot of time to teach you.  AND that is so NOT what this forum was intended to be for.  You need to find a local mentor, and you need to do a lot of CPE.  Learning on the fly, during filing season, and via anonymous folks in an on-line forum is, well, nuts and a grave disservice to your clients.  

DID you buy The Tax Book or QuickFinder as has been suggested 'several' times to you?  The Tax Book has a great section on AirBnBs

@stmocha  Once you've helped hundred folks out on this forum, please report back.  Okay?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
taxes96786
Level 9

dkh...careful...ironman is going to get you

0 Cheers
stmocha
Level 2

Airbnbs are reported on chedule C not schedule E

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

I believe that is if one provided "substantial services" to the guest 

abctax55
Level 15

Airbnbs are reported on chedule C not schedule E

@stmocha  -  wanna' try to provide a bit of documentation (a cite perhaps) for that blatantly incorrect blanket statement?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Airbnbs are reported on chedule C not schedule E"

I provided the link directly to AirBnB directions. Does no one follow them?

"9. How to report rental income and expenses
Rental income and expenses are reported on Schedule C or Schedule E of your tax return (Form 1040). If you are a real estate dealer who is engaged in the business of selling real estate to customers with the purposes of making a profit or an owner of a hotel, motel, etc., who provides services (maid services, etc.) for guests, report the rental income and expenses on Schedule C. If you are not, report the rental income and expenses on Schedule E. Schedule C income may be subject to self-employment tax, while Schedule E income may be subject to Net Investment Income Tax.

Most individual taxpayers report residential rental income and expenses on Schedule E. See Exhibit A for a copy of page 1 of Schedule E.
"