Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advanced child tax credit

JONI9611
Level 3

If my client claims his child every other year and the ex received advanced child tax credit. can I put down he received it and get the difference. he does not want to rock the boat with the ex. He does not want to ask her if she received it or not. will she have to repay if I do it this way?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Regardless of how you report the ACTC She will be paying it back (or having her refund reduced) if she does not claim the child for 2021.

The correct way is for him to record his accurate tax situation, unrelated to any other person's tax situation.

He reports 0 ATCT and let the chips fall where they may.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Regardless of how you report the ACTC She will be paying it back (or having her refund reduced) if she does not claim the child for 2021.

The correct way is for him to record his accurate tax situation, unrelated to any other person's tax situation.

He reports 0 ATCT and let the chips fall where they may.

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Repayment is not required if certain mininum income amounts are not met.  So ex may not have to repay any.  Put 0 under his advance payment question.