Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

steps to add a new truck with old truck trade in will loan due

karen388
Level 1

my client traded a truck on the books with a loan for a newer truck need the entries in 1065 tax return

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Sold old one, and bought new one. Separate transactions. Like kind exchange not available any longer

karen388
Level 1

but old truck was a trade in for new truck with value

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Read the above reply again. The paperwork from the dealership will have the amount of the trade in allowance documented on the bill of sale.

No like kind exchange except real property under TCJA.

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

The dealer may call it a trade, but for tax purposes it is a sale for the trade value and a new purchase for the contract amount of the new vehicle.

karen388
Level 1

would the loan payoff be an expense of the sale

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"No like kind exchange except real property under TCJA"

But it was a real truck. 😜

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

"would the loan payoff be an expense of the sale"

Nope

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

No. The loan payoff is a loan payoff. You use the Gross trade in as the sale price of the old truck. 

Net Trade in, plus boot(now there is an old term)(Boot is additional cash and/or new amount financed) is the purchase price of the new truck.

PATAX
Level 15

Loan proceeds are not income , and therefore principal payments on a loan are not expensed....

PATAX
Level 15

Speaking of so-called "deducting a loan as an expense", it always amazes me when someone goes to sell their business, and they say "I didn't make that much money because I had to pay off all these loans". When you tell them the truth, they look at you like you are from another planet.