Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099R Box 5

nytcpa2012
Level 4

Client's 1099R has more in Box 5 than in Box 1.  Since this is described by the IRS as the amount of investment paid in, should the overage in Box 5 be a capital loss?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can't claim a loss on a rollover.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
dkh
Level 15

Is 1099R marked Total Distribution ?

nytcpa2012
Level 4

...I thought about that, but was thinking maybe we could take a pro-rata share each time $$ come out. I'm not easily finding anything on irs.gov or elsewhere that addresses this.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

And who issued the 1099-R? Gov't, insurance co.?

Ex-AllStar
nytcpa2012
Level 4

insurance co

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Is this an employee pension, or a purchased nonqualified annuity?

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Insurance company payments generally indicate an annuity. Annuities payments are disbursed on a LIFO basis. Taxable earnings, are distributed before principle. If the amounts in box one and box 2 are the same, it would indicate that the distribution is taxable earnings. What is the code in box 7?

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
nytcpa2012
Level 4

Box 7 is G. direct rollover, which of course makes sense with Box 2 being zero.  

So I know that the distribution itself in Box 1 is not taxable, just trying to get the taxpayer a little less tax liability by making the additional Box 5 eligible as either a capital loss (likely), or an ordinary loss(preferably).

0 Cheers
nytcpa2012
Level 4

it's being paid by a life insurance co if that's helpful; other than that I don't know. Is there a way to find out without putting the client through tax hell? The amount of current year tax to be saved would be in the $500 range.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can't claim a loss on a rollover.

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

Since it's a rollover - doesn't the information in box 5 just get filed away for tracking basis information 

nytcpa2012
Level 4

noted. thank you.

0 Cheers