Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSA 1099R disabled - how to handle box 5

JML222
Level 4

Hello

I have a retired (disabled) former federal employee that received a CSA1099R with Dist code 3 and box 5 has $3500. Is it accurate to say the $3500 is post-tax money and should be excluded from Box 2 Taxable Amount? (BTW Box 2 is "unknown" on the form)

Thank you in advance

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

On every CSA1099R I've ever seen, box 5 is health insurance.

A letter/notice goes out every time the deposit amount changes and it shows the "before and after" along with codes for all of the deductions.  There are often two per year, one for the COLA adjustment and another when the health insurance changes (but any changes in withholding will also trigger one.)

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is it accurate to say the $3500 is post-tax money and should be excluded from Box 2 Taxable Amount?"

I would not assume that.

Ex-AllStar
Camp1040
Level 10

Are the amounts in Box 1 and Box 2 different by $3,500?

Never mind I see the answer in your OP

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

On every CSA1099R I've ever seen, box 5 is health insurance.

A letter/notice goes out every time the deposit amount changes and it shows the "before and after" along with codes for all of the deductions.  There are often two per year, one for the COLA adjustment and another when the health insurance changes (but any changes in withholding will also trigger one.)

Rick