Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Interest Limitation Calculation when purchased a second home in midyear

puravidapto
Level 7

Let us take this simplified example:

Taxpayer had a mortgage with principal amount 650K through out 1/1/2022 to 12/31/2022 (assuming interest only payment), the interest amount is 30K. He bought a second home from 10/1/2022, and had a mortgage with principal 350K through the rest of year, the interest amount is 20K for the year.

In theory:

- Can you please write the formula to calculate the deductible mortgage interest for the year assuming 750K limitation?
- Assuming this person is in California, do you have a way to provide the federally not allowed portion to California?

In practice, how do you input the data in ProConnect software to get the correct answers for federal and California consistent with what you calculated in theory by hand?

PS: Please read my signature and vote for my idea. I cannot get an answer from support and they cannot open a case for me, if we push the idea to the top, it will get their attention. Thanks. 

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Intuitjhaze
Intuit Alumni

hi again @puravidapto thanks for reaching out! please be on the lookout for a private message notification so we can discuss your issue more in-depth! chat soon.

0 Cheers
puravidapto
Level 7

@Intuitjhaze Just to make it clear, I know the "in theory" and correct answer is for this question, and I believe most of the practitioners know the correct answer. My main question is how to get the software to produce the answer.

I phrased the question this way is to have people compare their "should be" answer with their "software" answer themselves. However, I can simplify the question as:

The correct answer for federal is:

Full $30k mortgage interest on the $650k - primary residence +
Interest of $100k/$350k * $20k for deductible interest on the second home

all $50k mortgage interest would be allowed for California

How do I get the software to get the correct answer? I did try the "Excess Mortgage Interest" input, which does not provide the correct answer.

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Intuitjhaze wrote:

please be on the lookout for a private message notification so we can discuss your issue more in-depth!

Out of curiosity, why are you responding via private chat?  A large part of why Intuit has these forums is so that future readers with similar problems can read the solutions.

Intuitjhaze
Intuit Alumni

hey @TaxGuyBill another rookie mistake on my part. I read @puravidapto 's post incorrectly - thinking he needed additional guidance. I then realized it was more of a request for the software to provide this functionality. Apologies for the confusion!

0 Cheers
puravidapto
Level 7

@Intuitjhaze Private or public, I do not mind. What I need is to have the problem addressed. To be clear, I am not requesting "for the software to provide this functionality". I was asking how to do this in the software. Have you determined that the software does not currently have the functionality? If so, can you please create an enhancement request? If not, how can this issue be ever addressed?

You asked us to "reach out", and I did reach out, privately via [email address removed] , and publicly on this forum, but I am not getting an response.

Please click link in my signature, and vote for the idea to have Intuit to provide support. Thanks. 

--
0 Cheers