Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQ wrong? Deduct cash charitable contributions if taking the standard deduction

bokit
Level 1

According to the FAQ there is suppose to be a check box labeled: "Deduct cash charitable contributions if taking the standard deduction (forces the standard deduction)" in order to deduct charitable contributions while taking standard deduction.  I do not have that check box in ProConnect. Has anyone else been able to find it?  If I override the standard deduction I am not able to e-file the return. 

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Note that the standard deduction remains the same, so overriding it doesn't get you the right answer.

Screenshot 2021-04-15 143546.png

axpark
Level 1

I have the same issue.  Can't seem to find it.

IRonMaN
Level 15

If you are working on a 2022 return, there is a pretty good reason why you can't find it.  Sometimes tax laws change between years.

Slava Ukraini!
jeanlincpa
Level 2

I have the same issue.  Can't seem to find it.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Have you found it in the 2022 1040 instructions?

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I have the same issue. Can't seem to find it."

It's impossible to prove a negative. Keep looking.

Or, you can google:

cash contribution deduction 2022

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
TrojanTaxPro
Level 1

its not in the program. i would have found it by now. 

0 Cheers
TrojanTaxPro
Level 1

Me neither the instructions are only for 2021. But the option does not appear to be available for 2022 for some reason. I haven't heard of the law changing but i'll look into it further.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Do that.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Me neither the instructions are only for 2021. But the option does not appear to be available for 2022 for some reason. I haven't heard of the law changing but i'll look into it further."

Uh, hey, everybody:

If you were staying current, you would have known the special provision from 2020 and 2021 that was part of the CARES Act, expired. That's why you use the What's New, from the IRS, for the tax year. That's also why you take continuing education for tax preparers. That's also why you pay attention to the program you paid for, that prepares taxes, and use the Help articles.

Did you simply google:

charity contribution cash 2022

And look at the search results?

I really like investopedia articles.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/041315/tips-charitable-contributions-limits-a...

"Charitable contribution deduction rules have changed for 2022 and 2023. Or, to be even clearer, they have reverted. The two special tax rules that allowed taxpayers to deduct a certain level of cash contributions even if they didn't itemize 2021 income taxes—and claim deductions of sums up to 100% of their AGI—have expired and were not renewed by Congress."

But you can keep looking, of course.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers