Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of QSBS by a Partnership reported on both the K-1 as ordinary gain and 1099-B as capital gain

pat
Level 5

I have a client who received a 1065 K-1 with Box 11i reported and a 1099-B for the sale of QSBS stock that is not eligible for the exclusion because the holding period was less than 5 years and the gain was not deferred in any other allowable way. 

Entering the information from both the K-1 and 1099-B obviously reports the income twice, once as ordinary gain that flows through Sch E to Schedule 1 and once as capital gain through the 8949 and Schedule D. I believe the capital gain treatment is correct. It appears that both methods of reporting are correct but it should only be reported one way. This is slightly confusing because one iway results in ordinary gain and the other in capital gain.

How do I report this income correctly given that I have two different forms reporting it differently? Is the capital gain treatment correct?

All knowledgeable help is appreciated. 

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
George4Tacks
Level 15

Did the entity sell some of this stock and your client also sold some of this stock? Did the entity get a 1099B?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
pat
Level 5

Hi George, i have emailed the client to confirm the number of sales and who owned the stock and suspect that the entity reported this incorrectly. The k-1 does not include all of the info they are supposed to provide for the holding period and basis.
But in the event I have to report the k-1 for the client how do i correctly report the k-1 amount reported in box 11i - when i enter that to Lacerte it flows as ordinary gain from the sch E to sch 1 but should be entered as capital gain on the 8949/Sch D. 
My client is not eligible for the exclusion for the 1099b transaction due to a shorter than required holding period. I will require the omitted info to finish reporting for the k-1 if it is valid. If not I will have to go back to my client and find out if they will refile their 1065 to eliminate the wrong k-1. Otherwise, not sure what to do with if that’s the case. Any ideas?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I think you have a good handle on what to do. You can't correct a K-1. If you think it is wrong, get the client to get a corrected K-1. 

0 Cheers
pat
Level 5

No, I don’t. Do you know how to correctly report the k-1 information so the gain is capital and not ordinary? Box 11i is correct if the partnership sold stock that it owned but entering it there flows to Sch E and 4797 as ordinary. 

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

11I is just other income. You make the Lacerte input that gives you the appropriate output. It's pretty common for trader partnerships, hedge funds, and any entity that has income where the appropriate treatment depends on partner-specific facts to dump stuff in 11I when Sch E p 2 is not where the item should appear on the tax return.

The IRS K-1 matching programs make no attempt to match 11I to anything on the return.

0 Cheers
pat
Level 5

Thank you Phoebe but Lacerte has an entry for box 11i on the partnership k-1 form. just ignore that entry point and enter under dispositions only? 

I am still waiting on answer from my client. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Is there a description on a following page of k-1 for line 11? 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/federal-taxes/entering-partnership-schedule...

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Lacerte is your tool, not your supervisor. This is the first year it's even offered a "heck if I know what this is, but SchEp2 seems like a fine place for it" entry field for 11I.

0 Cheers