michele's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

michele's Posts

At the time the 1031 took place. I thought that it would be good since it was some rentals he had owned for several years and thought he would keep these he exchanged but he saw a good deal and turne... See more...
At the time the 1031 took place. I thought that it would be good since it was some rentals he had owned for several years and thought he would keep these he exchanged but he saw a good deal and turned them right over. Ugh. So it looks like it should be long term capital gains on the deferred and short term on the money he made on the newly aquired. Just getting it all to show in the program since the deferred is lumped into the property received. the other the program or irs I don’t know which won’t allow for an electronic return when you are reporting installment interest under an EIN. It will only take a Ssn. I really don’t believe he qualifies for installment status. I think he would be classified as a dealer real estate professional and they I don’t believe qualify for installment sales. what a headache. michele
Really complicated return. They had 1031  Dec 2020 then turned around in February of 2021 and sold the properties they received in a trade.( which was a slew of undeveloped lots and one with a house ... See more...
Really complicated return. They had 1031  Dec 2020 then turned around in February of 2021 and sold the properties they received in a trade.( which was a slew of undeveloped lots and one with a house received) So they had long term deferred gains, but I would think a portions would be short term on the new property since they only had it a few months.  In the meantime another piece of property they sold this year  on contract to a business with an ein  so everything has to go by paper since  it is a business number for the sale and interest received instead of  a ssn I have tried to sort this all out but have my doubts as to the ones at the IRS being able to get this all entered by hand and the depreciation schedule for this is over 100 items.  Yes he is a real estate professional. so always something going on but  Was trying to make the 1031 items that were sold as clean and easy for them to understand but don't  know if that is possible with a long and short needed for the properties.  UGH hate to get a letter wanting explanations for it all. thanks for any advice I will need it on this one. Michele
Client   I prepared return last year had 1031 exchange No problem. This year he sold that exchange in a few short months. He had long term gains deferred last year in the exchange. I have never had ... See more...
Client   I prepared return last year had 1031 exchange No problem. This year he sold that exchange in a few short months. He had long term gains deferred last year in the exchange. I have never had an exchange then turn around and sell it right away. Lacerte is calculating the deferred as ordinary income. does all the deferred become short term since the new property he aquired he turned around and sold. Was trying to look it up but not sure   thx
Losing an  EA employee do to retirement. Professional employment  agencies in Indiana tell me it will be next to impossible to find anyone to work in house, that accounting jobs have mainly gone remo... See more...
Losing an  EA employee do to retirement. Professional employment  agencies in Indiana tell me it will be next to impossible to find anyone to work in house, that accounting jobs have mainly gone remote. Is everyone working remote? I work remote and in office A lot of my staff work in house. I just don't feel good about letting a new employee work remote with all the information we have access to and require. We have a large client base and still have a large portion that wants to meet one on one.  Just curious if anyone else is facing this.   thx  Michele
New client never depreciated real estate rental. sold the property in 2021. Is 107 the proper dnc code since it was disposed of in 2021.  I know you use code 7 if they still own the property. thx M... See more...
New client never depreciated real estate rental. sold the property in 2021. Is 107 the proper dnc code since it was disposed of in 2021.  I know you use code 7 if they still own the property. thx Michele
Illinois preparers. I have a k-1 partnership  have prepared these for yours for this client. Always has illinois payments. The error will not go away this year checked last years return and everythin... See more...
Illinois preparers. I have a k-1 partnership  have prepared these for yours for this client. Always has illinois payments. The error will not go away this year checked last years return and everything is entered according to last year read the efile error and it is done the way is says it should be. Box 15 payments before 12/31 and then passthru payments withholding and also the share. Still get the error that there are two payments can't get rid of error never had to file by paper before, Anyone having trouble   thx Michele
Yep. I dread a conversion but this season has been absolutely horrible. I keep getting emails to set up an appointment after april 18 they stated they have been getting a lot of traction (their words... See more...
Yep. I dread a conversion but this season has been absolutely horrible. I keep getting emails to set up an appointment after april 18 they stated they have been getting a lot of traction (their words) from  Lacerte users
My thought exactly. I hate to tell clients at 8am they drove an hour  and we can't get the computers going
You think I can send them a bill for my staff. We got very little accomplished other than get all the drop offs logged in and scanned into our electronic storage. Such a waste of time we don't have. ... See more...
You think I can send them a bill for my staff. We got very little accomplished other than get all the drop offs logged in and scanned into our electronic storage. Such a waste of time we don't have. at least have the courtesy to send a notice across the computer instead of having our  it searching for problems that don't exist on our side.
Still down looks like it is going to be a long night. Clients booked starting at 8am  Tried doing a reinstall did not work. You would think Lacerte would tell us about this issue
Is everyone working. Lacerte keeps locking up. I assume it has something to do with the latest update. Is this their way to get us to move to the cloud?  hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
first place to check is if your state accepts those efiled. This is the first year Indiana has accepted them efiled. Yeah I was so glad. If California does accept efile. then look within the program ... See more...
first place to check is if your state accepts those efiled. This is the first year Indiana has accepted them efiled. Yeah I was so glad. If California does accept efile. then look within the program to see if it is preventing you from filing.   Michele
mine is the same not an efile issue.    Michele
Pulling my hair out. 50 drop offs so far today and program has been freezing up for at least 4hrs now.  tried calling Lacerte put their message was they were having problems with their phone lines e... See more...
Pulling my hair out. 50 drop offs so far today and program has been freezing up for at least 4hrs now.  tried calling Lacerte put their message was they were having problems with their phone lines expect a wait.  so did not get thru.
Be nice to know I have seven employees  all locked up  ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Michele
I don't believe there is a rental agreement  they are just charging her $400 month since she was allowed to stay. So my feeling is not to put depreciation on since I would not classify it as a true r... See more...
I don't believe there is a rental agreement  they are just charging her $400 month since she was allowed to stay. So my feeling is not to put depreciation on since I would not classify it as a true rental. I look at it almost like related party deal although she is not related. I don't want to do it just as income forcing them to pay on that income so may just leave it as a rental with no depreciation.
New client with trust. Trust not really generating income. Only is about 5000 year for rent. The problem is the rent is not of going rate or value for the property. The trust states that the girlfrie... See more...
New client with trust. Trust not really generating income. Only is about 5000 year for rent. The problem is the rent is not of going rate or value for the property. The trust states that the girlfriend may live there until which sometime that she passes away or marries. she is paying nominal to pay part of the property taxes and insurance. The previous accountant did not depreciate the property. I don't know if it should be. I haven't looked up any information on these kind of situations.  Just reaching out to see if anyone had this kind of situation.  thanks Michele
I am going to call them in tomorrow. My thoughts exactly definitely an extension. My brain is already on over load with  getting all the depreciation in then in reviewing all these assets I discover ... See more...
I am going to call them in tomorrow. My thoughts exactly definitely an extension. My brain is already on over load with  getting all the depreciation in then in reviewing all these assets I discover this. Yuck.
New client and a mess to straighten out.  They have several commercial properties that are rented out. One property building and assets where put under another building. They are two separate buildi... See more...
New client and a mess to straighten out.  They have several commercial properties that are rented out. One property building and assets where put under another building. They are two separate buildings  located on different streets in the same town. The previous accountant had them listed as one asset with 2 buildings and just showing all the income under one and not separating the income. and all the depreciation and depreciable assets going on the first building.so the second building became asset of asset1.  This would be a mess if they were to sell the first building and not the second. Does it look like I am going to have to do a 3115 to separate these 2 as they should be? This second building was placed in service in 2007. My guess is that someone in the office did not know what they were doing when they set it up that way. They purchased more buildings after 2007 and they are listed  separately so their income an assets go to them. This is all under a partnership return. Partners are husband and wife. I don't believe how this was done. but the Irs  will be looking at the depreciation if I break this out and also why the depreciation changed if this is sold. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.  UGH is it April 18th yet. Michele
1120-H   has income that was turned over to them from the developer to start the association. I am assuming this is considered income to them and is considered taxable if they do not meet the expense... See more...
1120-H   has income that was turned over to them from the developer to start the association. I am assuming this is considered income to them and is considered taxable if they do not meet the expense rule. Anyone use to preparing 1120-h  I have a significant number I always prepare bbut had been formed for years.   thanks Michele