Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 01-10 update- 940 efile error code 17

vscpanm
Level 5

I just ran an update and while the 941 did efile successfully, i received error code 17 when trying to efile the 940. Anyone else have issues with this? 

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

18 Comments 18
zhwzhw
Level 1

me too.

0 Cheers
jmnedrig
Level 2

Did anyone call into customer support regarding this issue?

0 Cheers
vscpanm
Level 5

I have not. I didn't have time to wait on hold for over an hour.  The transmittal print-issue for W-2s and 1099s also has not been resolved. I tried the email support thru HELP and had no luck. I'll try to call now. This is so stressful. 

0 Cheers
vscpanm
Level 5

Ok, just called. They are aware of the 940 non-filing issue. Nothing said about the transmittal print issue out of IRS system. wait time is still over an hour. hung up.

0 Cheers
Valarieb
Level 2

I updated and still can't file 941 electronically.  I get  an error message 429: ActiveX component can't create objecteasyaccterror.JPG

0 Cheers
Dianna
Level 3

Valerieb I had the same error message and so I restarted my computer again and then opened EASYAcct again and then went to E-file 941 again and it was successful that time.  Hopefully restarting will work for you too. 

Valarieb
Level 2

thank you, I will try that... so frustrating

Valarieb
Level 2

reboot didn't work 😕

0 Cheers
Dianna
Level 3

Try to reinstall update as an Administrator. I had to do that on a different computer to update the program on it. I also ended up rebooting after the initial restart and that seemed to work on that machine. It is VERY frustrating! 

DLR
Level 3

After the latest update, I was successful in e-filing the 941 but not the 940.  I will proceed with the 940 being a paper return.  I had hoped they would work on this over the weekend and get us a new update to fix the 940. SMH.

0 Cheers
vscpanm
Level 5

tried reinstalling. 940 still doesn't efile. I am still also having trouble creating the transmittal files from the IRS system. I click create and print for the transmittal and it closes the program. When I reopen, the created file appears but how can I be sure that it is correct? This is very messy this year. So frustrated. On hold as I type, wait time is now 35 minutes as opposed to over an hour. 

0 Cheers
jmnedrig
Level 2

Please keep us updated as I am having those same problems!!

0 Cheers
vscpanm
Level 5

ok so on hold for over an hour and still no answer. But while waiting new updates popped up. Ran update for IRS system, same issues transmitting files: no transmittal printed and closes program. I was able to successfully upload W2 files to the SSA.BSO website so I'm hoping the efiles are OK. Running EASY update now. fingers crossed on the 940 efile. 

0 Cheers
vscpanm
Level 5

Just ran the EASY update and the 940 efile now works. Open the software as "run administrator" to ensure that the update works. still waiting for the IRS system update for transmittal printing and closing issue. I think everything does work, just a bit sketchy.

jmnedrig
Level 2

Are you able to transmit the W2s yet?

0 Cheers
vscpanm
Level 5

I have been submitting W-2s to the BSO services online. When you create the W-2 file and click the transmit button from within the IRS system, it will close the program. However, when you go back into the IRS system and check to see if it created the file, it does create it. It does not print the transmittal form 6559 which I like to have because it has the client name and file name together. I have been keeping track of the created file names on an excel spreadsheet. You can also print a list of transmittal files created within the IRS system by clicking the ELECTRONIC FILING button, TRANSMIT FORMS, and if there are no pending creations, it gives you a message "no forms found to process....". Click OK, then click the REVIEW PROCESSED FILES tab, it will give you a comprehensive list of files created with the .DAT file name. I am assuming the 1099s will file the same.

0 Cheers
jmnedrig
Level 2

I am creating the file and doing the transmission in the information return system.  It tells me it is successful and gives me the file name.  When I go to the SSA to do check the file, it is not there?  I double checked that the path is correct (C:\IRS2019\DATA|\) but the file name is not there?  It worked for me before all of these updates and I am getting really frustrated!!

0 Cheers
vscpanm
Level 5

On your local PC, locate the file where it is supposed to be going. It should be in the C:\irs2019\data\W2EF file. If it is not in the W2EF file, then you have a problem. The 1099s are the same: C:\irs2019\data\1099EF.

0 Cheers