Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S Corp client

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

ok.. still grappling with the home sale one that hurt my 20 - 30 minute time goal but this S corp client came in.. they use a certain desktop accounting software, un-named at this point.. asked to see the balance sheet and income statement (P & L ) .. i already was leery on what she would show me.. sure enough.. The Balance sheet showed negative $ 450,000 in total assets.. negative assets!  Then I was curious at the income statement.. she gave me her 1099-K showing sales of $ 750,000 and the P & L showed sales of about $ 500,000... this was one of the worse internal set of financials i ever saw. 

I can't use these financial statements and I am not going to try and use her database and fix it.. I asked her if she could just go back and get me the 12 months bank statements (after she "codes" them.. short abbreviation next to each bank debit, such as R & M, INS, L & A, P/ROLL, RENT, ADV, etc and I can create my own general ledger and financial statements.. she was all for that and I told her i can take this totally off of her hands going forward.. so turned a big mess into a monthly accounting client. 

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
abctax55
Level 15

Get a retainer... it's still going to be messy.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I've been digging into this project this week.  S corp has a TD Ameritrade brokerage account with all kinds of trades and activity.  I have never seen an S Corp with an actively traded brokerage account.     

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

There's a first time for everything.

I have some like that.

Hope your fee is high enough to cover the accounting for this

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@Jim-from-Ohio wrote:

I've been digging into this project this week.  S corp has a TD Ameritrade brokerage account with all kinds of trades and activity.  I have never seen an S Corp with an actively traded brokerage account.     

You might be able download the transactions into Quicken.  It does a good job with investment transactions, then you could run a report for the year.  Depending on what else is going on in the S Corp you CAN use Quicken for a set of double-entry books.  Since it doesn't require categories for each transaction it's not super reliable, but it works if you know what you're doing.

Rick