Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annunity gift to child

dperhogan
Level 3

What is the tax effect on someone gifting a non qualified annuity to child?  gifter is 70+ years old and child is 50+ years old.  Can this be done by adding a rider (child) to annunity then change annunity to payout phase by taking one payment.  Then change ownership to child.  The child would have lifetime income and only pay income taxes on the gain of each payment of the annunity.  Let me know. 

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you asking about this as beneficiary, or as annuitant? What does the insurance broker tell them, and did you confirm that part independently?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
dperhogan
Level 3

As annuitant, I found the scenario online and wanted to find out if this is possible.  My client hasn't asked insurance broker.  I believe this type of transaction falls under a 1035 exchange but don't know if my scenario is possible.  Reaching out to find the best option.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

That's not Gifting, then. An annuity has an Owner, an Annuitant, and a Beneficiary. You want to read on Transfer, and it will also depend on the contract (if it has this provision) and if it has already been paying out or not.

Google:

transfer nonqualified annuity to new annuitant

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers