Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a 1 year old who receives a 1099-MISC need to file a Federal or State Tax Return?

dtfaust
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes.  I'm guessing at 1, we aren't talking about a newspaper route.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes.  I'm guessing at 1, we aren't talking about a newspaper route.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

What would a 1 year old receive a 1099MISC for? 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Lawn mowing, snow shoveling, modeling, acting, tax preparation…………. ok, maybe not tax preparation .  You have to be at least 6 to enter that field.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dtfaust
Level 2
1099MISC was for modeling
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
ohhh self employment income, yes a return needs to be filed, assuming its over $400.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
And open a Roth!!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I don't have any modelling clients but just curious with all of the "trade or business" talk out there these days.  Can a 1 year old have a trade or business?  I think you'd have trouble proving that the 1 year old has a profit motive.
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
At that age, it's the parents with the profit motive.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Parents wanting to get rich off of their kids --------------------------- that would never happen :open_mouth::open_mouth:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
My client's baby was in a Kaiser commercial: a swimming baby.  She got paid somehow, and residuals.  She's now in college so I cannot easily check and see if it was 1099/W-2 but I know she opened a Roth.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I don't know if I have ever mentioned that I tend to be curious, so I'm curious how much the kid got paid for the modeling job.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Which box? It could be Royalties.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers