Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife wants to file MFS and not share any info about her earnings. Do I just file him as MFS and not include any biographic info for her, just ignore her?

chapguy19
Level 4
How do I file a married couple where one spouse doesn't want to share anything with my taxpayer.  Do I just file MFS and completely ignore her?
0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If that's your only option, yes. If you got a family law attorney you can refer the guy to, might not hurt....got the feeling this wont be a long lived marriage.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Is this the same couple you asked about a day earlier:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/spouses-have-split-with...

Did you work through that wizard I linked to?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
chapguy19
Level 4

Yes, this is the same client.  

The IRS wizard didn't help because it didn't ask or answer the key question which is what to do if spouse is non-responsive.

So I am filing MFS and disregarding her entirely by not even including her in the tax return.  I understand that I have to paper file this one.

Thanks for you help.

0 Cheers
chapguy19
Level 4

I'm filing MFS and not including her.

Then I will paper file it.

Thanks for your help.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

You answered elsewhere that you are in Washington, a community property state.  If you want to disregard community property laws and therefore, disregard tax law, you can probably get away with that.  IRS doesn't go down many of those rabbit holes.  But the correct procedure would be to determine when the community was split (this varies from state to state) and then estimate income and withholding for the wife, up until that date.  And of course, share with her what she needs to comply with the law.  (Not that it matters, but are there kids involved?)  

0 Cheers
chapguy19
Level 4

Thanks for your reply.

They live in Washington, thou she currently lives in CA, both community property states, and there is a child involved.

I'm going to recommend my client to talk to his attorney so that he can talk to the other attorney and let everyone involved know what the laws are.

Otherwise, the fall back position is to file his return by paper.

Thanks, C

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As for being in a Community Property State, at first glance this appears to apply:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p555#en_US_202001_publink1000168798

0 Cheers